Author Topic: Low Temperature Smoke  (Read 878 times)

Ken

• Model 2wifi
Low Temperature Smoke
« on: February 17, 2022, 01:39:32 AM »
I’m new to the Model 2 wi-fi.  The analog control on my model 1 gives full power until the set temp is reached.  The digital control tapers the power down before the maximum temp is reached.  The net result is no smoke at the lower temps that I like for fish, like 160. I’m talking chunks, not chips. I have to set the temp at about 200 to get the smoke that I want.  Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 07:37:29 AM by Ken »

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Low Temperature Smoke
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2022, 06:35:01 PM »
Tough to say what is happening.  I start to see some wisps around 120 according to my controller so I know the element is red hot.  Have you got it set to ramp up from a low temp for a certain period of time before going to the cook temp you want for maybe a brisket or butt or something large?  If so, you may have to set another program just for fish.  You may want to give Steve a call and ask his opinion.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Ken

• Model 2wifi
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2022, 07:57:32 PM »
I've been doing some more testing with no fish.  I believe the unit is operating as designed.  The power curve is much longer for a smoker set temp of 225 and that works fine.  When I set it at 160, the curve is much shorter, so the end temp does not overshoot the set temp.  I ended up with something to try with fish.  The set temp is 180 with a chip screen.  I put a handful of chips and then chunks on top of that.  The chips start to smoke in about 7 minutes.  By the time the unit stops smoking, everything is charcoal, chips and chunks. That's only 10 degrees over the SI recommended range for salmon.  My glass is half full on this one.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2022, 09:01:45 PM »
Sounds like you have a semi-reasonable compromise worked out.  Did your #2 come pre-drilled for a Bella cold smoker? That might be an option for getting smoke at a lower temp. Just a thought.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Ken

• Model 2wifi
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2022, 11:09:30 PM »
I don’t know about the pre drilling part.  My model 1 seemed to do such a good job that I didn’t question it.  Looking back, maybe the analog control temp swings were greater than I thought.  They were all on the high side as I measured them on my ThermPro.  At this point I need to smoke some salmon.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2022, 12:07:42 AM »
Steve started selling the smokers predrilled to accept the Bella Cold Smoke attachment so that users would not have to struggle with drilling through the stainless steel. I think you would notice it if your smoker is only a couple months old.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Ken

• Model 2wifi
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2022, 11:47:02 AM »
I’ll check it out.  Mine is a gen 2 built in August 21.  I think I’ll stick with hot smoke as that seems to be what everyone wants.