Author Topic: Two packer briskets in a model 2?  (Read 1830 times)

mplslakes

Two packer briskets in a model 2?
« on: April 27, 2021, 12:29:59 PM »
Good morning.  Long-time smoker, new to electric.  Anyone done two packer briskets in an SI2?  Have a big family gathering later this summer and will be feeding 28.  Two briskets will do it, but not sure if I can squeeze that into the SI2.  Anyone have experience and tips on that?  Thanks much.

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: Two packer briskets in a model 2?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 09:55:33 PM »
I've not done it, but I did own a #2 for a while and I _think_ it _could_ be done.  :)  Obviously, part of the equation will be just how large the briskets are.  Some briskets could fit on a single shelf diagonally after being trimmed and just barely touch the walls starting out.  Other briskets are much lager.

What some have done here is essentially fold the brisket to make it fit on one shelf.  In this case you'll need to do that on two shelves.  It will definitely be tight in there and you're going to have the bottom brisket pretty close to the heat source.  For sure put the fat cap down on the bottom shelf.  You might also have to rotate the top and bottom at some point to deal with the temperature differential of the bottom one being so close to the heat source.

Are you sure you don't want to use this as the perfect excuse to get the #3?  Your #2 should still have good resale value.  :)
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

mplslakes

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 12:35:12 PM »
Thanks.  Yes, I think it's probably doable, will learn more as I get more comfortable with the 2.  A larger one would be nice, but we don't have the space for it up at the lake... it's a shared home, and we store some of our stuff we don't want others using in a small storage closet.  Will give it a go later this summer.

cantonn11

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2022, 04:50:45 PM »
Would folding an oversized brisket in a U-shape against the side walls affect smoke penetration in some areas?

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2022, 05:26:30 PM »
Simple answer?  Yes for those sections flat against the sidewall. You could do some delicate surgery so the brisket fits the rack at an angle and the cut off portion chunked up for burnt ends.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

cantonn11

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2022, 10:52:03 AM »
I had found a youtube video showing the use of a Weber rib rack to fit an oversized brisket on a Weber Smokey Mountain grill.  That solution could work for fitting an oversized brisket in the Smokin it #2.

Link to video: https://youtu.be/ZufxdTWvguI

cantonn11

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2022, 04:20:14 PM »
What is the largest brisket (in terms of weight) has anyone fit in the Smokin it #2?

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2022, 07:19:06 PM »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A