Author Topic: BBQ sauce on ribs and remote thermometer  (Read 1866 times)

elpescador88

BBQ sauce on ribs and remote thermometer
« on: July 12, 2021, 06:12:54 PM »
I am seasoning my new model 1 today.  2 questions: the ribs recipe on the website makes no mention of BBQ sauce on the ribs.  When do you add BBQ sauce to the ribs? Before, during or after the smoke?  Also, it seems like a remote thermometer would be one of the most important first accessories to invest in. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Lonzinomaker

Re: BBQ sauce on ribs and remote thermometer
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 08:40:33 PM »
If and when I sauce, it is during the last 30-60 min.  I usually just baste with a mixture of butter, honey and what ever rub I used.
I recommend the Smoke by Thermoworks. Costs about $100, but has decent BT range, remote display, easy to set alarm limits and probes last a long time.  Inkbird IBTX4 is also ok, has 4 probes, will log  (as long as connected), has an android app and I think a Iphone app.
I didn't like my Maverik, couldn't make alarm changes easily.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 01:37:53 AM »
I am seasoning my new model 1 today.  2 questions: the ribs recipe on the website makes no mention of BBQ sauce on the ribs.  When do you add BBQ sauce to the ribs? Before, during or after the smoke?  Also, it seems like a remote thermometer would be one of the most important first accessories to invest in. Any recommendations? Thanks!

1.  I like saucy ribs, too...  I guess you could say that I do a 5-1 method instead of a 3-2-1 method.  :)  I let them smoke and cook completely hands off for the first 5 hours and then throw the sauce on pretty liberally and let them go another hour or so.

2. After having used a number of different models of thermometers and then getting a Thermoworks and I can tell you that I am now a "true believer" in their products and their support.  I got the "smoke" model, but I've also heard excellent things about the "signals" model.  The initial investment is a little high, but they are extremely well built and designed.  Replacement probes, though, are really affordable.  I upgraded to the Thermoworks because I had no remaining good probes for my old meter and it was going to cost a fortune to replace them.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

SeaWolf

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 03:48:19 PM »

As mentioned previously, I have found anything by Thermoworks to be spectacular. For the time being, any good remote will do but invest in Thermoworks and you can not go wrong. I had a set from Williams Sonoma years back and, guess what, was made by (you guessed it) Thermoworks. It was also sold for more money than their own sets.

As for the ribs, I put a rub on them and smoke mine for two hours first. Bone side down. Make sure you pull off the thin membrane that is on the back side of the ribs first. After the smoke, I take foil and spread out a layer of Dark Brown sugar, some honey and a few tablespoons of butter. Put the ribs meat side down, sprinkle some more brown sugar, honey and butter on top and wrap. 2 hours at 225 degrees. Pull ribs from foil and put them back in the smoker. Save the juices from the foil. Brush with sauce and cook until tender. Average time will be another hour but will depend on how thick they are. I really like the Rufus Teague Apple Mash BBQ Sauce. I use apple wood as well. I cut the ribs apart and baste them with the leftover sugar/butter juices from the previous step. Skim off the fat and cook it down until it is thick. Baste the cut sides of the ribs with the sugar/butter sauce or I serve it on the side and folks can dip the meat into it before they eat.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 10:02:47 PM »
Sauce after at our home, if desired.  And typically, to give the ribs the charred sauce touch, I sauce and slap 'em on a hot grill to char. The diner is welcome to wet them down with sauce at the table
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2021, 12:13:20 AM »
Make sure you pull off the thin membrane that is on the back side of the ribs first.

I used to do that and now I've stopped...  I find absolutely no value in the effort.  They smoke up and taste/chew just fine.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

elpescador88

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 04:16:46 PM »
Thanks everyone for all of the tips!