Author Topic: Salmon "Jerky"  (Read 1406 times)

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Salmon "Jerky"
« on: March 11, 2021, 09:12:51 AM »
I was gifted two gallons of goose breasts, in exchange for smoking some salmon. He requested :Alaskan style salmon jerky"

The problem was I was dealing with 14-16 inch Lake Michigan Coho salmon not 30+ pound Alantic Salmon.

I Cut the fish in thick steaks, about 1.25 inches, The tail sections a bit longer. There were a few filets so they were cut into strips.

I dusted everything on both sides with a light coating of basic dry cure (recipe is listed in the bacon section). After that I added a layer of coconut sugar gave it 24 hours in the fridge.

The next day i briefly rinsed the fish and spread it out on a rack, back in the fridge for 48 hours.  I did not pat the fish dry because I did not want to wipe off any residual sweetness. Since the meat was fairls wet going in the fridge it took an extra day to dry out.

Prior to ging int he smoker I brushed them all with pure maple suryp on all sides. I ran the smoker at 100, burning Pellets made from Jim Beem Bourbon barrels. I ran the Jerky fan the entire smoke. They smoked for 15 hours and were flipped over twice.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

OldeSmoker

Re: Salmon "Jerky"
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 09:39:16 AM »
It sounds and looks great. How was the texture and flavor? Thanks for sharing.

Paul from Southwest Missouri
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi
with Bella’s CSG and The Stephanie Cabinet
*Members Mark SS 6 Burner Gas Grill with Sear Burner, Side Burner & Rotisserie
*River Grills Wood Fired Grill and Fire Pit
W/ Rotisserie and Dutch Oven Hanger

barelfly

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 10:12:20 AM »
This looks good Brian! I’ve only tried smoked salmon jerky once and.....well, didn’t care for it, but that was before I really started to enjoy salmon.

So, like Paul asks, how was the texture? I’ll have to consider this at some point.

Thanks for sharing!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 10:27:05 PM »
Thanks for the comments. The texture was a but dry but that was what the guy wanted.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Jhrol2862

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 07:03:19 PM »
I guess using the jerky dryer is the difference between standard smoked salmon and salmon jerky or salmon candy. I also would think running the fan the entire cook would lessen the smoke flavor.
John from Indiana

Jhrol2862

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 07:03:59 PM »
I guess using the jerky dryer is the difference between standard smoked salmon and salmon jerky or salmon candy. I also would think running the fan the entire cook would lessen the smoke flavor.
John from Indiana