Author Topic: Rib dilemma  (Read 1668 times)

Baja Smoke

Rib dilemma
« on: March 03, 2021, 09:59:22 AM »
Hello all, I am new to the group from northern Minnesota. I have a lot of cooking experience, in fact I am doing a food truck the spring featuring Mexican cuisine and smoked items. I need to have the ribs ready by 10:30 in the morning, but don't want to be up all night. Any suggestions on this? I have the number five smoker and will be again practicing this weekend as I have mainly smoked with wood and charcoal. Suggestions appreciated, I will be serving ribs from 10:30 a.m. to 2...

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Rib dilemma
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 10:38:05 AM »
I have only done BB ribs, and they are generally finished at 5.5 to 6 hours, smoking at 230* or so.   Once I start, I don't peak until about 4 hours when I add some BBQ sauce, and then they are back in the smoker until 5.5 hours.  The baby backs have always turned out perfect.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 11:20:32 AM »
If you insist on sleeping, I think you will have to invest in a timer that can handle the load so to start cooking during the night.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

mike1910

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 01:57:13 PM »
I’d prep them the night before and put them on around 4-4:30 and go back to bed for a couple hours. No need to be awake for the majority of the smoke,  the smoker will do it’s thing.
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3

Baja Smoke

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 04:26:11 PM »
I'm thinking I'll try smoking at 230 for three hours, wrapping, , setting temp down to maybe 140 overnight. I'll let you know how they come out. Anyone else done something like this?

barelfly

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 10:37:39 PM »
I’d just do what Mike suggests and prep the night before, wake up early and put them in and go back to bed. I’ve cooked 6 racks of baby backs in my 3D and the time was the same as if I cooked 1 or 2. The other thing, I’m guessing the 5 is a digital control, correct? So that allows you to cook the ribs at a higher temp, 250-275 and will shorten the cook time. So you could also try that.

You’ll see why this is called lazy q at it’s best after the first cook!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Baja Smoke

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 08:04:30 AM »
Looking forward to it, I'll post pics!

naglen

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2021, 10:14:15 AM »
How did they turn out?