Author Topic: Model choices  (Read 3141 times)

Harrytim

Model choices
« on: January 22, 2021, 05:33:03 PM »
Hi everyone. I am new to smoking. I am having a hard time choosing between #2, #2D #2 Wifi. Are there any advantages of one over the other?    :-\

Glock_21

Re: Model choices
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 06:36:35 PM »
It's all about control and monitoring features.  The meat won't taste any different from any of the 3.  The D model gives you more precise digital temperature control vs the analog model.  The WiFi model gives you the digital control and lets you tie the smoker into your WiFi network and be able to monitor/control the smoker from your phone anywhere you have internet access. 

I have the Model 3 analog.  It has served me well over the years. The Model 3 analog can be had for less money than a Model 2 WiFi.  It's great to have options on the different levels of "bells and whistles".   These are great smokers.  You really can't go wrong with your choice.

Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 07:39:56 PM »
First, welcome to the forum.
Will a #2 meet all your size requirements or was this model chosen because of budget?  If you think you might ned a larger unit, you can get the analog 3 for a tad less than the 2 wifi. You could, at a later date get the stand alone Auber controller if you decide you want more control. The digital  and wifi controllers are made by Auber.

Now to your question. Analog is simple and reliable IF you can not agonize and worry over the temperature swings which is normal.  The swings do not bother most people and the food comes out just fine. Both the digital and the wifi lock in the temp to within a degree or so, no 15 -20 degree swings high and low of your set smoker temp.  They also allow programming recipes for repeatability.  And the wifi lets you monitor/control the smoker without being at the smoker. 

It is all about what you want.  All the smokers have pros and cons and the many users here on the forum will have their opinions.  Some will prefer digital because it is accurate; others analog because it is simple.  All the smokers have the 3 year warranty; the digital and wifi are covered for 3 years with the controller covered for just 1 year. The analog controller is 3 years.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 09:51:15 PM »
I bought an analog #3 intending to add an Auber PID at a later date. 2 years later, have decided I don't need the control.  I'm totally satisfied with analog control.
I agree with the other posts, make sure you don't need the extra space from the #3 over the #2. 
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

barelfly

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 09:57:02 PM »
Old Sarge brings a good point.

Size over the other options is something to consider. For me, I have a 3D, I like the digital interface and think it works well and lets me do some things with step cooks, timed cooks or temp cooks. I’ve used my Dad’s #2 analog and it works great as well.

One thing I believe the digital offers over the analog, is cooking at a hotter temp. I do smoke at a higher temp, 275, but I don’t recall what the analog’s top temp is.

But if the bells and whistles aren’t as important as cooking surface, an analog would do great. My Dad loves his #2 and I love my #3D!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Harrytim

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 06:25:34 AM »
Thanks for all the comments. you all make good point and I do a lot of camping. I couldn't find any weights on any units. Does anyone know where I can find them? 

Harrytim

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 06:28:23 AM »
Old Sarge brings a good point.

Size over the other options is something to consider. For me, I have a 3D, I like the digital interface and think it works well and lets me do some things with step cooks, timed cooks or temp cooks. I’ve used my Dad’s #2 analog and it works great as well.

One thing I believe the digital offers over the analog, is cooking at a hotter temp. I do smoke at a higher temp, 275, but I don’t recall what the analog’s top temp is.

But if the bells and whistles aren’t as important as cooking surface, an analog would do great. My Dad loves his #2 and I love my #3D!

How important is step cooking and when is it used?

barelfly

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2021, 09:52:34 AM »
How important is step cooking and when is it used?

It’s not - it’s just a function I use since I have it. You can step smoke using the analog as well. Myself and many others here will gently warm up the box to start, going to 150-175 for 30-45 minutes, then to final smoke temp. so I use the digital to do that. Analog smokers just do it manually.

In the past, I have done cook to temp steps, where something gets to my target temp then the digital goes to a holding temp, but I don’t use that anymore because I rely on probe tenderness.

I don’t use the functionality of the digital as much as I could, but I still like having the few aspects I do use. I’ll be smoking beef short ribs today and will be smoking at 250-275, so that’s nice to have as well.

As for the weight, I posted a link below for you to see the shipping weights (nice comparison chart of all smokers as well). The #3 is a bit awkward, heavier for one to carry. I can lift my dad’s #2 in and out of car. The casters that come with are helpful and make the units easy to move.

Hope this helps!

https://www.smokin-it.com/v/vspfiles/files/SImodelcompare.pdf

Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 12:12:02 PM »

This has to be the single most important advantage of the D/DW over the analogs.  The analogs can only be set to 250 (with a +/- 40 degree swing this means they might hit close to 300 some of the time) where the D and DW can be set to 325 as a max safe temp.  This higher temp is nice for turkey and chicken wings.  :)
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Glock_21

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 06:21:15 PM »
Thanks for all the comments. you all make good point and I do a lot of camping. I couldn't find any weights on any units. Does anyone know where I can find them?

Do you use FaceBook?  There's an SI page.  This weekend SI posted a prototype of a lighter weight model.  It looked like it would be aimed at the camping / tailgating market.
Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2021, 08:08:41 PM »
I saw that little short smoker. I don't use fb so reading comments and answers is out for me. But it should do well for those with a bug out bag. Have to take the essentials!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

OldeSmoker

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2021, 11:10:42 AM »
I definitely agree with Old Sarge. For myself size was very important. The extra depth that the 3 provides over the 2 was the deciding factor. I’m glad I spent a few extra bucks to be able to fit full slabs of ribs and packer briskets without alterations. Best wishes on your new smoker.
Paul from Southwest Missouri
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi
with Bella’s CSG and The Stephanie Cabinet
*Members Mark SS 6 Burner Gas Grill with Sear Burner, Side Burner & Rotisserie
*River Grills Wood Fired Grill and Fire Pit
W/ Rotisserie and Dutch Oven Hanger

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2021, 12:29:44 PM »
I bought a #1 last spring specifically to take camping.  I did 3 racks of ribs in it and it was pretty full, ribs still turned out well, camping buddies said they were the best they ever had.  It is a little bit of a chore to carry around, but doable.  I saw the post on FB that Steve made and he said the prototype is around 40# and has the same rack size as the #1. Height is about half of the #1. 

I was happy with the #1 being able to make enough ribs to feed my camping group, not sure the new prototype would be able to do that.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

Harrytim

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2021, 03:55:28 PM »
Thanks for all the advise. I ended up buying the 2D. Ordered on Sunday and it arrived on Tuesday? Super fast delivery. A little heavy for camping but I would rather have the extra room, just in case. Finally unpack just started the seasoning. I have to say that I was struggling with the  directions for setting up the controller. Maybe it was just cold. Got it going and started smoking in about 10 minutes. Tomorrow I will be making venison snack stick  for the big snow storm here in the Poconos.

barelfly

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2021, 04:24:47 PM »
Congrats on the new smoker! Snack stix sound great to have around!

Enjoy!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q