Author Topic: Auber Faceplate  (Read 1337 times)

OldeSmoker

Auber Faceplate
« on: October 16, 2020, 01:38:45 PM »
I have a 3D-WiFi that I have had almost 2 months. The face plate on the Auber PID controller is separating from the unit. I keep my smoker on a covered patio where it does not get any direct sunlight or any rain. I also keep the vinyl cover on it at all times except for when smoking. Has anyone else experienced this issue? If so, is there anyway to repair it so moisture will not find it's way into the controller?
Paul from Southwest Missouri
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi
with Bella’s CSG and The Stephanie Cabinet
*Members Mark SS 6 Burner Gas Grill with Sear Burner, Side Burner & Rotisserie
*River Grills Wood Fired Grill and Fire Pit
W/ Rotisserie and Dutch Oven Hanger

tostitobandito

• 3DW - Seattle, WA
Re: Auber Faceplate
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 04:48:33 PM »
As the manufacturer also suggests, I would strongly recommend that you keep it indoors when not in use if at all possible.  With an analog smoker I wouldn't be as concerned, but the digital or wifi units have sensitive electronics externally mounted which are not designed to be weatherproof.  Even if covered you have temperature and humidity swings along with condensation that can occur and over time can cause superficial issues like in your case, or worst case brick the electronics completely.

To try to answer your question though, if it's possible to flatten out the faceplate flush by pushing on it you might try a small amount of super glue or epoxy along the seams where it's lifting off and put pressure on it until it sets.  I wouldn't expect this to be more than a temporary fix though if you continue to store outside, as over time the daily expansion/contraction cycles due to temperature as well humidity getting inside will continue to wear at the unit.  You could also contact Smokin-It and ask them since you've only had it two months and maybe they can do something for you, but I suspect they may tell you the same thing I did unless they are in a generous mood.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 04:55:44 PM by tostitobandito »

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 07:51:40 PM »
I'd totally send Steve a message...  he'll know if it's common and he's great about taking care of the occasional problem.  Mine is much older and isn't doing anything like that at all.  Seems like a warranty item.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

OldeSmoker

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 09:28:18 AM »
Thank you guys for the advice. It is much appreciated.
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 12:03:26 PM »
As Larry said, let Steve know; he always takes care of his customers. Sounds to me like the overlay may have been applied with an air bubble trapped and over time as the air expanded and contracted due to heat and cold it just separated. My 3D is under a covered patio and I also use the Smokin-it cover to protect it from blown in dust and such. Overlay still intact.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

barelfly

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 10:04:02 PM »
Mine 3D is also on the covered patio, double covered with the smokin-it cover and a cover I got from Coversandall.com. I don’t recall the plate coming off, but will check next time I have it going.

Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

OldeSmoker

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 11:50:23 PM »
I emailed Steve today. He responded shortly thereafter and said he is sending a new face plate. Great customer service. It’s nice doing business with genuinely good people.
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi