Author Topic: Smoking assorted foods at the same time  (Read 1264 times)

MrChefDave

• 11 cheers for binary!
Smoking assorted foods at the same time
« on: July 11, 2020, 08:44:41 PM »
I have been searching this forum for about an hour and cannot locate any information to use as a guide when you want to do a smoke that will include several different types of foods. In particular if you want to smoke something at a lower temperature and then something at a higher temp which do you start first or just do low and extend the time? If you do appetizers and they are a shorter time can you start them with your ribs or other meats and then open the smoker remove them and then continue? If you want vegetables with your ribs, open the smoker add them and continue, same for deserts. Just looking for some ideas, nothing is planned at this time. Thanks Dave
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. Same is true when you are stupid.
Dave

barelfly

Re: Smoking assorted foods at the same time
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 10:15:29 PM »
You can open the door, just be quick with it. The oxygen could cause the wood to catch fire. I don’t know how likely that is, but just be quick.

As for the foods. Just keep in mind what is cooking over what so you don’t get cross contamination of raw on to cooked or near cooked food. I don’t know if there are specific thread subjects, but I’ve read where others have done what you are wanting to do. Just plan out when things will be done and time them that way. Nice thing about having a few different racks that you can move up or down.

As for low and high temps, that’s a bit harder but perhaps doable. Cooking hotter just gets things done faster, but???? Depends on what it is that you are smoking I guess.

Hope that helps some. I’m sure others will help as well, give you a few more ideas.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Smoking assorted foods at the same time
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 05:00:09 AM »
You can mix your food and eat as you go but you have to be organized. Cook at the temp need for the main course. Arrange your food so the Appetizers are on the top rack, next course below, going down as you progress through the meal. 

So you can run the smoker at 235-240 Pork loin on the bottom rack. Put chicken wings above the pork, and Shrimp above the chicken.

Get some one to help you manage the door, pull the entire rack and close the door to save heat.

I personally do not worry about fire or flare ups. We are applying heat to wood, some fire is to be expected on occasion.

I do recommend practicing this method on a smaller scale than party volumes of food to get the hang of it. 
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud