Author Topic: Chicken halves  (Read 1588 times)

Newsmoke

Chicken halves
« on: June 14, 2020, 09:47:18 AM »
Trying my second smoke Ever and first chicken half smoke . Using a dry rub recipe from Hey Grill Hey. Couple thoughts. Half bird is 3.4 lbs. Best place to probe? Thigh or breast? I will smoke to IT of 140 then add sauce and finish to 165. She suggests preheating smoker? Does anyone here preheat and add wood box later. I’m all ears, rookie.

barelfly

Re: Chicken halves
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 10:08:44 AM »
I temp probe chicken into the dark meat and take it up a little higher. But that’s me.

As for preheating, just ramp up the temp but put the chicken and wood it at the start, turn it on to 150 for about 45 minutes then your smoke temp, whether that’s 225 or whatever.

One suggestion, I’d fire up your gasser If you have one when it’s close to being done and finish the chicken there to crisp up the skin. Chicken skin needs high heat to break down the fat and be edible. Doesn’t need a lot of time, but just a tough of high heat to make that skin crispy good!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Newsmoke

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 10:14:45 AM »
Thanks, I’m also going to use my chip screen with my wood chunks and maybe some foil. I had a little wood combustion on my first smoke.

NVW-SSV

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 04:48:26 PM »
How did it turn out?  What temps and wood did you use?  I'm going to do this soon
Jody from western NC

Smokin' It #2 - Auber 1200 & bypassed
3.5D Wifi (07/18)

Newsmoke

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 05:47:21 PM »
Did two halves tonight. I used two ounces of apple. Started my smoke at 150 for 20 minutes. Then ramped up to 225-250. Max on my Model 2. I added bbq at IT 145 then took off 165-170. total smoke time around 70 minutes. The skin will be rubbery like any barbecued chicken. I finished on gas Weber to try to crisp up. Pretty good taste. Smoke was not overwhelming and had plenty of moisture. I did use some apple juice in smoker. I may try tomorrow to broil the other half in oven to try and crisp up the skin. This is only my second smoke ever. Learning. Next is pork chops for the second time

Newsmoke

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 05:53:18 PM »
Follow up to my last post. After 24 hours in fridge I took second chicken half and baked in oven at 350 for 50 minutes.Finished under low broiler for 5 minutes. Before baking I added some dry rub from Spiceology (adobo honey or maple bourbon). Actually I thought the leftover half was better than the first half I did. It fell off bone better. Still moist. Next time I will smoke longer even if temp goes over 165. Then finish under oven broiler like I did second day.

barelfly

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2020, 08:59:18 AM »
You can take chicken dark meat up higher in temp without drying it out. I usually will cook chicken quarters up to the 180* or so, allows for what you mentioned occurring in the oven reheat. When I’ve done whole chicken, I’ll temp both the breast and thigh and try to find a happy medium. But always seems to work out well.

I bet the smoke flavor was nice as well, seems to settle in a bit with the rest and cold. At least that’s what I’ve experienced with left overs and the various sausage that I have smoked.

Glad you enjoyed the meal!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear