Author Topic: Smoker Essentials: Maverick ET732 Wireless Dual Probe Thermometer  (Read 20797 times)

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
When I first got into smoking, the most common thermometer mentioned in online forum after online forum is the Maverick ET732 ... and it is ubiquitous for a reason.  As I cut my teeth on stick burners and eventually moved on up to the East Side and bought my Smokin-It #3 I realized that time meant little while product temp meant everything.  After a quick search, I found that Amazon.com had competitive pricing and the limited edition "Black" unit.  These units use a dual probe system that allow you to simultaneously measure both meat temp and smoking chamber temp.  If you're confident in your process, you can easily purchase a second meat probe and run two probes for two different types of meat simultaneously.

PROS:
1.  After a calibration with two other thermometers, I found the Maverick ET732 to be consistently accurate within two degrees.
2.  The black casing hides stains ... and it looks "fast".
3.  The remote unit is a great asset for overnight smokes ... rather than having to go outside at 4:30 a.m. to check the temp or see if it's hit a stall you simply look at the comforting display on the unit sitting on your bedside table.
4.  The range more than meets my needs as it stretches even to the garage with no apparent reception degradation.
5.  Multiple functions including alarms for a set temp or time.

CONS:
1.  The probes are attached to a braided cable and the resulting gap is a haven for water damage.  A simple dot of high temp/heat resistant silicone on the joint between the probe and braided cable easily resolves the issue.
2.  The remote unit does eat up some batteries.
3.  The standard grayscale LCD display is difficult to read in some lighting situations.
4.  There are rare occasions where the thermometer and the remote unit fail to "handshake" or lose connection; a quick removal of the batteries and a repeat of the connection sequence has resolved this issue every time.

FINAL RECOMMENDATIONS:
There is no tool more important to the success of the Smokin-It units, or any other smoker for that matter, than a good thermometer.  By keeping a close eye on both the chamber temp and the meat at the same time, you'll be able to spot trends between smoking sessions that may otherwise escape notice.  I can unequivocally recommend the Maverick ET732 for novice and expert smokers alike.

VENDOR RECOMMENDATION:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ITJT92/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 08:16:24 PM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

es1025

Re: Smoker Essentials: Maverick ET732 Wireless Dual Probe Thermometer
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 07:10:40 AM »
I agree with Joe 1000%.  The probe does all the work for you.  The $60 investment make is worth the cost, as you can monitor both the temperature inside the smoker and the temperature of the meat.  I used the high heat silicone and it was a piece of cake to seal the joint. I am using the dual probe on my 4th smoking session.  Buy it, you should not smoke food without it.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Thin Blue

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 09:02:44 AM »
I just purchased the Maverick ET732.
Checked the  probes in boiling water. The cooker temp probe checked in at 212, perfect.
The meat temp probe checked in at 214, not perfect, but within 2 degrees.
Smoked two butts over night. The remote lost signal about 2:30am and woke me up, not good. Got the units synchronized and lost sync, about an hour later. Slept in the recliner in the living room, which is a little closer to the smoker, the rest of the night. never lost sync again. 
I had put in new copper top batteries in both the sender and the remote before the using them.
Maybe a battery issue, don't know. I am going to try some lithium batteries next time.
Quit frankly I think the ET732 is a very good remote digital smoker thermometer. I have three other types of digital smoker thermometers.
I would buy the ET732again.  :)   However, does anyone have two of the ET732 and how or can you use two because of be on the same frequency?  ???
Have: Tejas stick burner roll top and a Smokin-it #3 w/ Auber

Had: Brinkmann vertical charcoal, wore out; Old Smoky, not to my liking sold; Brinkmann Pro offset, gave to friend;  Sams Club propane smoker, junk, returned to SAMs; 2 Brinkmann vertical electric, wore out.

Spresso

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 09:45:29 PM »
Joe, you write consistently great reviews.
Succinct and to the point.

In this case I also agree with you that the Maverick is an essential tool. 
I just counted I have 23 different thermometers, probes....  some say I have gone overboard, but I still think I have room for more...  ;D
I have a couple really high temp thermometers as I used to burn out the regular ones in my Grill.  For pizzas I can go over 800 degrees.

BTW I have the silver unit.   
I also had the same issues if I remember correctly as Thin Blue. the first couple of days it lost connection.  But it has not happened since then,  even during very long sessions.
It was invaluable to me even before the smokin it 3.  I live in a very windy area and my flames on the grill used to go out on occasion... lifesaver.
Zed from Southern Ontario
Smokin-It-all on the #3
Grillin-the-rest on the Weber

UWFSAE

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 11:57:35 PM »
Thanks for the kudos, Spresso ... despite all the other gadgets and accessories for smoking and grilling I've purchased, this one stands above all others.   :)
Joe from Houston, TX

Thin Blue

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 01:08:39 PM »

All, see correspondence below in regards to the ET-732 from Maverick Industries, Inc.

July 11, 2013
To: Priscilla at  Maverick Industries, Inc.

I have one ET-732.
I have two additional smokers. 
If I buy additional ET-732, is it possible to use more than one ET-732 at a time and know what temp is what?
Or is there a problem with the units being on the same frequency?

As long as you start up each unit separately there will be no problems.
Thank you,
Priscilla

Maverick Industries, Inc.
94 Mayfield Ave
Edison, NJ 08837

Have: Tejas stick burner roll top and a Smokin-it #3 w/ Auber

Had: Brinkmann vertical charcoal, wore out; Old Smoky, not to my liking sold; Brinkmann Pro offset, gave to friend;  Sams Club propane smoker, junk, returned to SAMs; 2 Brinkmann vertical electric, wore out.

es1025

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 10:38:13 AM »
All-
I think I need a new smoker probe for the maverick, the LLL codes has been popping more frequently.  So far the best price on amazon is around $20.  I even put the silicone around the probes...
Ed from Northern NJ

UWFSAE

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 12:57:57 PM »
Hmmm ... that's a new one for me; my has been (thankfully) error free.  Before you spring for a new probe I'd run a smoke with just one probe at a time to see if there's a difference.  If you have LLL codes on both it could be fouled probes or it could be the controller unit; if only on one probe at least you've narrowed it down.
Joe from Houston, TX

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 07:16:20 PM »
Just ordered a silver ET-732 off of Amazon Prime... I'll let you know how it turns out!  I'm upgrading from an Acurite single-probe digital (no remote unit), which has actually performed very accurately.  I just wanted the 2 probes, and remote capability for those occasional overnight cooks!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

es1025

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 08:45:58 AM »
The LLL went away after a while. I straighten out the wire and it seemed to fix itself. I also resynced a few times. I decided to put the probes in a bin as opposed to the box. The food probe works fine. The BBQ probe was the troublemaker.
Ed from Northern NJ

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 08:42:35 PM »
Good to know, Ed.  If I encounter the LLL, I'll know what to look for!  Mine should be here Wednesday; just in time for a good butt cook this weekend!  ;D I went crazy and ordered a pair of bear claws, too.  I've never had a problem pulling pork with a couple of meat forks, but a buddy of mine told me how great the bear claws are.  So I thought what the hell...live a little! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Spresso

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 10:41:43 PM »
I just ordered a second meat probe as well.   just in case :-)

good luck with the bear claws. I have had a pair in my shopping bag for a while but haven't actually ordered it yet!
Zed from Southern Ontario
Smokin-It-all on the #3
Grillin-the-rest on the Weber

Etex

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 09:00:16 AM »
I have been looking around for a small tube of high temp food grade silicone.  Where did you guys get yours?
Since they are sending me a new food probe because mine seems to have a moisture problem I would like to seal the new one.  Will the silicone work well on the used barbecue probe? 

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 03:20:05 PM »
I have been looking around for a small tube of high temp food grade silicone.  Where did you guys get yours?
Since they are sending me a new food probe because mine seems to have a moisture problem I would like to seal the new one.  Will the silicone work well on the used barbecue probe?

Any high-temp gasket maker from the auto parts store will work fine.  It doesn't need to be "food grade," as it never comes in contact with the meat.  If you seal a used probe, just make sure it's good and dry before sealing.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Etex

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 06:08:23 PM »

Thanks Divot!