Author Topic: Hello All!!  (Read 5003 times)

bigboy74

Hello All!!
« on: July 03, 2013, 01:51:50 PM »
I am new to smoking meats and have been looking at smokers for several months now. I have read tons of reviews on different kinds of smokers. Finally made a decision to buy a Smokin-it #2. Ordered the smoker yesterday and am waiting on its arrival!!! Cant wait to have some home-brews smoke some butts, baby backs, and my favorite country style ribs! Now I have to make the hard decision of which to smoke first!
Cheers
Bigboy

Thin Blue

Re: Hello All!!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 02:58:06 PM »
OH!  You have been bitten by the smoke bug.
Congrats you will have fun and eat well also.
 :)
Have: Tejas stick burner roll top and a Smokin-it #3 w/ Auber

Had: Brinkmann vertical charcoal, wore out; Old Smoky, not to my liking sold; Brinkmann Pro offset, gave to friend;  Sams Club propane smoker, junk, returned to SAMs; 2 Brinkmann vertical electric, wore out.

Bigumdaddyo

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 03:19:21 PM »
Welcome Bigboy!! I am new here as well and so is my smoker. I started with baby backs last weekend and they were fantastic! Getting ready for the 4th with a 12 pound brisket. happy smoking.

Bigumdaddyo
Larry from WA
Smokin-it #3
Char-griller stick burner

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 04:27:26 PM »
Welcome, Big!   Just as you said, I spent quite a bit of time researching different options for smokers and settled on the #2 back in January.  Haven't looked back and been smok'in every weekend.  You will not be disappointed...these units are very sturdy and hold temps great.   I suspect you will have your new smoker early next week, if not sooner (usually about 3-4 days).   Be sure to season it before your first smoke (instructions I believe come with the unit).

For a first smoke, I suggest something that won't require a lot of time, like chicken thighs (for excellent pulled chicken), wings, or even a couple of whole chickens (I do two at a time in my #2).  Chicken usually needs 3 to 4 hours, or you could go with babybacks for 5 hours.  No matter what you decide, I am very sure that you will be delighted...let us know!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

afratki

• Owner: Smokin-It #1
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 06:21:47 PM »
Welcome to the club bigboy, my story is about the same as yours except I ordered the #1.

The experimenting is half the fun!
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 06:30:07 PM »
Welcome to the club, BigBoy!  You made a really good choice, and won't regret it.  Be sure to follow the instructions on seasoning - 3 or 4 chunks of the sample hickory for about 4 hours, with nothing onboard.  Also make sure to foil the bottom and smoke box cover before cooking on it, too (and don't forget to poke a hole in the foil for the drain hole).

I would suggest taking it on its maiden voyage with something "easy" to get the feel for the smoker.  Swthorpe has some good advice.  For my first smoke, I did a Boston butt (13 hours), but that's just me...go big or go home!  ;D

Keep us posted on your progress, and let us know of any problems - this gang is definitely here to help!

Many good smokes ahead of you!  Enjoy your 4th!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

es1025

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 06:57:59 PM »
Welcome, you have purchased an awesome piece of equipment.  I agree with Divot (Tony) regarding seasoning and buy an industrial size heavy duty aluminum foil.  In my initial smoke, I did baby backs using a modified 3-2-1 method. Enjoy, this forum has a lot of seasoned smokers, I learn some new each time I come to the forum.  Tonight at midnight, I am starting an 8#pork butt, and yes I am foiling at 165.
 Enjoy!
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 07:12:33 PM »
Welcome to the party, Bigboy.  If you have any questions, just post them and you'll have a slew of folks willing to share opinions, facts, myths and theories ... and all of them well-meaning and worth a look.

Good luck with your inaugural smoke!
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 10:59:08 PM »
Has your smoker arrived?  Curious minds want to know!! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 12:08:16 PM »
Welcome and happy smoking to you you.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Smoke Monkey

• Porkchops and bacon, my two favorite animals.
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 09:43:48 AM »
Welcome BigBoy! I also purchased a #2. You are gonna love it. Lots of great folks on here and customer service is great.

Enjoy!
Steve from Albany, NY
Proud owner of a 2013 Model #2 and a
Weber Genesis for grillin' and rotisserie