Author Topic: Contemplating a New Slicer  (Read 7530 times)

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Contemplating a New Slicer
« on: December 14, 2018, 06:49:02 PM »
For the last month or so, after cutting a ham into chunks that my decades old Rival with a 6 inch blade could handle, I started looking at slicers. Currently looking at a Big Bite 1185, 8 1/2 inch from LEM, a similar model from Cabelas marketed by Blue Sky,  Waring FS1000, and a Chefs Choice 665 (serrated blade only).  Any comments on these, good or bad will be welcome.  In the meantime, the old Rival just plods along without so much as a hiccup. As an aside, for those who own or want a Chefs Choice slicer due to their popularity and pricing,  here is the patent application, viewable at the link:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7174822.pdf
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 09:10:22 AM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

sweetride95

Re: Contemplating a New Slicer
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 08:12:53 AM »
Shopping slicers is a whole animal unto it's own. So many name brands, knock-offs, blade sizes, how big is big enough?, will this monster fit in my pantry?, can I even lift this thing?, does it have enough watts?, why do these look the same but one is triple the monies?, ect...

I wanted a mid-weight, name brand slicer. I wanted to be able to buy parts for it. It had to slice a whole piece of belly for bacon. To make my wife happy, it had to fit into our pantry closet.
The bacon thing was the kicker, I couldn't meet the size/weight of the machine and sling 10 inches of belly. I'm a normal house, normal short on storage, really only going to use it 7 times a year dude, so I had to be open minded to get it to fit into this damn cabinet.

When I realized I was going to be making short pieces of bacon, the fog lifted and I bought this....
https://www.kitchenwarestation.com/product/ms-6ns-food-slicer-silver-stainless-blade/

I've used it twice now, works awesome. Bacon is still amazing, maybe better since I'm not blistering my hand cutting extra wide slices. Thin and consistent matter more than the length. And of course, the wife was right. It fits nicely in the cabinet, out of sight and orderly.

My 2 cents I guess. Good luck on your journey. Let us know what you decide.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 08:16:28 AM by sweetride95 »
Ben from IN
SI#2
Webber LP
Anova sous vide noob
23+ yr Machinist/EDM Rm Supervisor

barelfly

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 09:43:20 AM »
Sorry I can’t help on this David.

I have contemplated a slicer in the past, but like Ben, I may only use it a handful of times so have not gone further with the idea.  I do have a great friend who has one, and has let me use it in the past. I sliced up bacon with it and found it easier with my big slicing knife. It was also my unfamiliarity with the slicer.

But I did like the slicer Ben posted. Perhaps when I get into more charcuterie making I’ll look further.

Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Walt

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 10:40:39 AM »
That KWS looks nice. The Chefschoice 645 is a bit more expensive but it has a very small footprint, is light, plenty of power & cuts full length bacon. I have been very happy with it.
https://www.amazon.com/ChefsChoice-645-Slicer-Discontinued-Manufacturer-x/dp/B0000667GW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1544974805&sr=8-1&keywords=chefs+choice+645
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 11:31:45 AM »
Go for the highest power slicer.  I slice my bacon and jerky when the meat has been frozen and partially thawn. If the meat is completely frozen, it is almost to hard to slice.  But partially thawn it will slice evenly. It takes more power to slice in this state.
Also if you want to slice cheese, that takes more power compared to lunch meat.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 11:07:05 AM »
Thanks all. I have looked at KWS. Unfortunately getting an 8 inch or larger sliver to replace my 6 inch gets real pricey. I could likely get by in most cases with 7.  The Chefs Choice 645  looks good and I believe it was made in Germany but not sure. I have talked with the folks at Chefs Choice several times regarding a couple of their models and the 665 will not get a smoothe blade so I will look at other models. I have looked at the slicers from Avantco via Websturant. Pretty attractive pricing. However Avantco voids the warranty if used in the home. I plan on calling them on this. Whatever I end up getting will also get a 4 year Square Trade warranty from Amazon. Cheap insurance.  Thanks again.

UPDATE from Avantco:  No warranty for residential use. Might be dangerous; could be misused; most homes are not set up to properly accept a commercial unit and power.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 08:08:59 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 10:13:03 PM »
UPDATE from Avantco:  No warranty for residential use. Might be dangerous; could be misused; most homes are not set up to properly accept a commercial unit and power.

That is incredibly lame...  if you talk to them again you can let them know that I'll avoid their products due to their consumer hostility.  Because, let's face it, "Might be dangerous; could be misused" is impossible in a commercial setting where 90% of the people using them get paid starvation wages and are out of shits to give.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 11:18:07 PM »
Larry - More than lame.  Here are excerpts from our email exchange:
ME:  Hello - I have not purchased a slicer yet. But I want to know why your warranty is void if used in the home?
Avantco: Thank you for contacting Avantco! We appreciate your interest in our products. Our units are designed for use in commercial applications only, and some equipment would even be considered unsafe for use in residential settings.
Residential use voids the warranty as most homes are not set up to properly accept a commercial unit and power it necessarily. Additionally, residential applications increase the chance of misuse.
ME:I can understand misuse. And homes not being set up for some types of equipment. However,  in looking at your 8 and 10 models I don’t see any issues for the average homeowner. Standard electrical. Similar in size and power as those sold by Edgecraft/Chef’s Choice 672, LEM Big Bite slicers, Cabela’s pro series, etc.
These are very popular with those of us who smoke Bacon and brisket at home then vac seal and freeze. Just hard to believe your warranty excludes many of us.

Awaiting a reply.  Not holding my breath.  The 9 inch model is what I was interested in. https://www.webstaurantstore.com/avantco-sl309-9-manual-gravity-feed-meat-slicer-1-4-hp/177SL309.html
Amazon sells the same model for $449.00
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 11:19:38 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 11:28:26 AM »
It is funny that they are basically throwing out the residential market from their potential buyer group.

I have never heard of this type of warranty. It usually goes the other way where residential slicer warranties are voided if used in a commercial setting. Now, that actually makes sense.

I have looked at this slicers in the past, but have always had to discount them as one of my main slicer functions is to slice full bacon slices and as far as I can tell the max slice would be 7.5".

I have been looking for a new slicer too and have pretty much come to the conclusion that unless I want to go with a behemoth 10"-12" slicer, my only choice for models that will cut a full slice of bacon is the Chef's Choice.

I am close to pulling the trigger on the Chef's Choice, but still technically on the hunt. :)

I am curious to hear what you end up doing Sarge.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 09:55:04 PM »
WOOT has the 615A for $89.99 at this link:
https://www.woot.com/offers/chefschoice-615a-electric-meat-slicer?ref=w_cnt_wp_0_5

But if I go with Chef's Choice I am looking at the 665 even tho there is no non-serrated blade for it.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 09:58:04 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 11:37:10 PM »
WOOT has the 615A for $89.99 at this link:
https://www.woot.com/offers/chefschoice-615a-electric-meat-slicer?ref=w_cnt_wp_0_5

Bummer...  I just got mine for full price a week ago.  :(
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 12:18:46 AM »
Anyone that wants a slicer should follow these steps.

1. Buy a good long blade knife.
2. Gather $400 cash and put it in a safe place.
3. Actively shop Craig's list, eBay, let-go and other local shopping forums.
4 Until you find a used commercial slicer made by Globe, Hobart or Berkel use your new knife to slice meat. Nothing cuts like a commercial slicer.

My $50, Hobart was made in 1941 and is running strong. My buddy just got his 1956 Hobart of Let-go for $300 a few miles from his house for $300. I have seen some bigger newer commercial units go as high as $500.

Be patient and have the cash ready.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 10:17:29 PM by Pork Belly »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2019, 09:46:11 PM »
Brian - I agree with all you said.  But for the limited slicing that I do, a smaller unit but larger than my Rival will suffice.  I just ordered the Chef's Choice 665 from MidwayUSA.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 08:33:00 PM »
The slicer arrived today.  Unpacked it and powered it up sans meat.  Blade appears to run faster than the old Rival; noise level about the same. I was expecting the base the carriage rides on to be some sort of injection molded plastic and the motor/blade housing metal but the entire unit minus the food carriage and bottom plate is all aluminum. Overall I am please and this should serve my small needs well.  Now I have to find something that needs slicing.  And here is a photo showing the new and the old.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 07:36:01 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 12:01:17 PM »
Just an FYI that the Chef's Choice 615A is on sale for $98.99 again.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/dp/B078YYDF8N/ref=pe_1723740_387995980_pe_hero_btn

It was too good of a deal for me to pass up, so I snagged one. :)

Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.