Author Topic: Philly Area  (Read 5887 times)

ultrafirebike

Philly Area
« on: June 18, 2013, 02:31:38 PM »
Hello,
I'm across the river  from Philly in NJ. I've been "smokin' on it", or my term for thinking about it, for a long time. Since I have no kids, I was seriously bored in Father's day and spent the whole day searching, rethinking and making choices. Monday I purchased the #3, cover, Seafood grill and chip smoker. I've traveled by motorcycle 49 states and most of Canada....the basic focus is always where to find good BBQ. I know there's differences in the Q in different regions, St. Louis, KC, NC, SC, Texas and Memphis. I've been known to travel over 3,000 miles round trip for a lunch, so fire it up and let's go. I plan on using my knowledge of tastes along with research to better my newbie smoke self. Some purists insist on wood fired or charcoal, but for consistency my choice was the electric. Looking at pellet feeders didn't do much for me, so I finally came upon Smokin-it and figured I found exactly what I was looking for. My thoughts are trying everything and sticking to a few classics to hone my skills.
Ultrafirebike
I will ride anywhere to try BBQ
North America is my local Riding area

afratki

• Owner: Smokin-It #1
Re: Philly Area
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 05:55:00 PM »
Welcome, you won't be disappointed. Keep us posted on how things go!
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

es1025

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 07:09:36 PM »
Welcome aboard, I took the same approach read the forum a lot and finally pulled the trigger in early May. You will not be disappointed.  The smoker works great. Two sets of ribs in the book, next up Boston butt.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 11:09:44 PM »
Welcome to the club, Ultra.  Using stick burners can produce GREAT results but that is a primarily social activity ... get some good beer, a group of friends and babysit the smoker for hours while enjoying good conversations.

The electric smokers, of which the Smokin-It is one of the best options, offer so much better temp control and a more stable, moist smoking environment; there's a reason they're not permitted at competitions.  The #3 is a hoss and will make you the host for many planned and impromptu get-togethers.  Enjoy it!
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

ultrafirebike

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 11:50:59 AM »
SO Fed Ex dropped off the Smoker at noon yesterday...I work 3-11 so I knew there wasn't enough time to season it. I have a few large Metal carts from a previous job, about waist high, industrial wheels on them, so the #3 fit perfectly on one with room on the side for a large platter. I lined the inside with foil and left for work.
This morning I placed the wood chip insert inside to burn off any manufacturing leftovers while I season the smoker and let er rip. It wasn't more than 3 minutes before I could smell and see smoke.  ;D
I took a before pic and will take an after pic to show seasoning and post tomorrow.
I have pre-made plans during the day Saturday and Sunday (part-time work and Harley ride on Sunday) that will preclude me from smoking until late in the day....but it's so close I may end up doing the first batch late into the night. I have my Foodsaver perforated 2 portion size bag/rolls which allows for any length to be selected and I'll try saving a whole rack and a some half racks for comparison purposes. After the seasoning pics I will start a new thread in the pertinent areas to avoid confusion for users when browsing for information.

More Later......
Ultrafirebike

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 09:16:57 PM »
The arrival and seasoning is a great day!  Welcome to the club!  You'll have a lot of good times ahead with your new #3!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

es1025

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 10:03:16 AM »
Ultra, I am trying your recommended piedmont sauce today along with my own BBQ sauce.  I tried a little yesterday tastes good. Waiting to put on a pulled pork sandwich.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

ultrafirebike

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 12:42:16 PM »
Ultra, I am trying your recommended piedmont sauce today along with my own BBQ sauce.  I tried a little yesterday tastes good. Waiting to put on a pulled pork sandwich.
I like it because it's a light flavor that doesn't mask the smoked pork......a little will add juice, complimentary flavor and zing!
Ultrafirebike

Spresso

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 04:32:40 PM »
Hey Ultra,
i just read your intro.....
some of it sounded as if I wrote it about me :-)
Mostly the travel part, but I like cars. (accident in early life scared me off bikes)
I have travelled 1200 miles for a cup of coffee :-)
Good to have you on board!
Zed
btw,  have you made it to Southern Ontario on your trips
Zed from Southern Ontario
Smokin-It-all on the #3
Grillin-the-rest on the Weber

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 12:08:50 PM »
Welcome and happy smoking to you.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

redriders99

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 06:40:23 PM »
Another old sarge here. Feels like xmas. Just recieved my #1 unit and broke in. Lol. Wait till my gal gets a hint of the smoke eminating around the house. Valley Forge area will be knockin on my door wondering where the gr8t smoke is.coming.from. ribs are on storefor tomorrow
Thinking about a stand next. Any opinions?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 07:20:36 PM »
Welcome to the party, Red!  You might want to do a post in the "Introductions" section to let everyone know about you.  Congrats on the #1!  I like the stand, but don't have one.  No more than the #1 weighs, I just set mine on top of a portable miter saw table I have when I use it; gets it up to "working" height. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 08:13:19 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Redriders ... be sure to post some pics of those ribs once they're done.  With regard to the stand, I think the #1 definitely would benefit from them to ease your cleaning chores alone; I'm still debating on getting a cart (or making one) for the #3 just to make it easier to spritz/glaze/sauce meat while it's in the smoker.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!