Author Topic: The Briner  (Read 11335 times)

raymillsus

The Briner
« on: October 12, 2017, 04:30:40 PM »
Anyone ever try one of these. I personally think the worst part of Brining is figuring out the damn container to do it in. This seems like a great option for the container challenged as myself.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/THE-BRINER/1770468.uts?slotId=6#tabsCollection
-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Tec Sterling 2 Infrared Grill
USN 1988-1998 Medically discharged.
Biker at heart, I ride for abused children
Great BBQ is a passion.

Durangosmoker

Re: The Briner
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 05:25:28 PM »
I have the Briner Jr. and find it very useful. It fits in the fridge, too, without taking up too much real estate, which is helpful. Necessary? No, but helpful, and it holds your meat under the surface of the brine, which is good.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

dcbt

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 07:25:27 AM »
Thanks for posting this.  I may look into this.  I am constantly struggling to find a big enough pot in the kitchen for brining.
Bryce in DFW, TX
SI #1
Weber Silver Genesis

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 11:10:34 AM »
I never have enough spare room in the frig for brining containers.  I have a couple sizes of ice chests that work for everything from pork butts to turkeys. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

dcbt

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 01:45:30 PM »
FYI, amazon has them for a few bucks cheaper (shocking, I know), and of course free shipping with prime.  Here's a link to the Jr:

https://www.amazon.com/The-Briner-Jr-TB1201/dp/B00F1Z7DPE
Bryce in DFW, TX
SI #1
Weber Silver Genesis

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 03:50:01 AM »
Everyone that has the Briner seems to love it. It's a great product. I actually use these food-service style containers/lids made by either Rubbermaid or Cambro, and I have a few different sizes and shapes for different food items. You do have to find creative ways to weight down the meat though. The 12-quart square also serves dual purpose for me as a sous vide vessel.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FVNI6WO/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3NUU52YUHEFCI&colid=N7Z26Y88JG2O&th=1

Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

raymillsus

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 09:19:19 AM »
Sounds like thumbs up all the way around. I have alot of snake oil in my cabinets that I should just toss but I still hold out hope as I spent good money on them. :)
-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Great BBQ is a passion.

banditz

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 07:27:37 AM »
Everyone that has the Briner seems to love it. It's a great product. I actually use these food-service style containers/lids made by either Rubbermaid or Cambro, and I have a few different sizes and shapes for different food items. You do have to find creative ways to weight down the meat though. The 12-quart square also serves dual purpose for me as a sous vide vessel.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FVNI6WO/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3NUU52YUHEFCI&colid=N7Z26Y88JG2O&th=1

What are the dimensions of this particular container and what was your creative way to keep the meat submerged?

I am looking for something for a 14-15 pound turkey.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 07:36:40 AM by banditz »

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 10:02:07 AM »
What are the dimensions of this particular container

http://www.rubbermaidcommercial.com/rcp/products/detail.jsp?rcpNum=6312

I posted and then removed this, but I've decided the dimensions look correct and the picture has to be wrong.  The model number matches perfectly.  Seems like an odd mistake for rubbermaid to make on their site.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

SconnieQ

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 10:36:14 AM »
What are the dimensions of this particular container

http://www.rubbermaidcommercial.com/rcp/products/detail.jsp?rcpNum=6312

I posted and then removed this, but I've decided the dimensions look correct and the picture has to be wrong.  The model number matches perfectly.  Seems like an odd mistake for rubbermaid to make on their site.

Larry, you are correct. The picture shows an 18 quart square. The Specifications are for a 12 quart square. The chart at the bottom of the page give dimensions for their whole line of square containers, and would be a better reference. The 22 quart will work for a 14 pound Turkey. 22 quarts equals 5.5 gallons, and a 5 gallon bucket will hold just about any size turkey, even 20+ pounds. You might be able to get away with the 18 quart (4.5 gallons) for a 14 pound turkey.

For Turkey, I use a food-safe 5-gallon bucket such as these (make sure you get a lid).
https://www.amazon.com/Gallon-White-Bucket-Lid-Durable/dp/B00A1LUFEY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1510757953&sr=8-2&keywords=food+grade+bucket+5+gallon&dpID=31jXYGERHkL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/cambro-pwb22148-22-qt-customizable-poly-pail-bucket-with-handle/214PWB22.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=CjwKCAiA6K_QBRA8EiwASvtjZXPAYXF1QTVyck-Pml7g8K4Ba5xXYAI0s4hiwOxl-2ZNPRowG-EgOxoCb54QAvD_BwE

I use this for all sizes of turkeys, I've done up to 22 pounds no problem (for roasting, not smoking). Since it is food safe, you can brine right in the bucket. Make your brine double strength, and add ice. No need to refrigerate then for overnight. Just put it in a cool place like a basement, garage or porch. Or, you can put your turkey into a brining bag with your regular strength brine, close it up, and add ice in the bucket around the brining bag. Or what I do, because those brining bags are expensive, I buy the Reynolds Turkey Roasting bags at the grocery store that come 2 to a bag, and I use both bags, to put my turkey and brine in. Much cheaper, and I've never had one fail. I like having the handle on the bucket, because between the turkey, the brine, and ice, it gets really heavy.

I don't find it necessary to weight turkey down at all. Put the turkey in the bucket or brining container neck side down. All that might stick out of the water will be the end bones of the legs, and maybe a tiny tip of the breast plate or a little bit of the tail/back. No need for those to be submerged. For things I do weight down, you can fill food safe containers with water or ice, and place them on top. Things like ziplock storage containers, or ziplock bags. I try to avoid anything metal.

Note: for several years I brined my turkeys directly in a plain old 5 gallon bucket (non-food-safe). This works fine... as long as you use a brining bag or the oven bags... and they do not break. Mine never broke. If they break, that plasticy taste might get into your turkey. And probably some bad chemicals too. I'm ashamed to admit for a couple years, I brined in regular buckets directly (without the bags), and I'm alive to tell about it. I didn't notice any plasticy taste, but I would definitely not recommend it. That was back in the days when people weren't so smart.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 11:02:17 AM by SconnieQ »
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SconnieQ

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 10:41:38 AM »
If you want to be overwhelmed by all of the shapes and sizes of food storage containers, here's a good place to look, and good prices. Not sure what shipping is though. I've ordered from this place before.
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/3087/food-storage-containers.html
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

banditz

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 10:44:40 AM »
Thanks guys. Rubber Maids picture was throwing me off

raymillsus

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 01:58:47 PM »
I can tell you that the Briner bucket is amazing. I like the locking plate to keep foot submerged. I think that is really the game changer on this. If you do not care about keeping food submerged plenty of other options out there.
-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Great BBQ is a passion.

SconnieQ

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 02:21:46 PM »
I don't have them but the Briner and Briner Jr with the locking plate do seem nice for a little extra money. If you have a Cabela's nearby, you can ship free to store if they are not in stock at the store.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

coachB

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2017, 10:54:40 PM »
I have both sizes of the Briner and can't recommend them highly enough.  The hold-down plate is a huge plus.  I got them w/free shipping from Cabela's with some wood pellets to qualify ($99+).  Pellets and Briners were both on sale at the time.
Bill from Myrtle Beach SC