Author Topic: Rib Confession and Smoker Cleaning Question  (Read 3941 times)

CUTiger80

Rib Confession and Smoker Cleaning Question
« on: July 06, 2016, 01:58:23 PM »
I have been smoking BB ribs using the 2-2-1 method for a couple of years now and they always turn out great.  Last weekend I decided to try the no-peek method after seeing many of you swear by it.  I smoked them this way when I first got my smoker and I didn't think that they turned out as tender (but I was smoking spares back then).  I smoked 2 racks between 5.5-6 hours and they were perfect.  I liked the bark much better using the no-peek method and I saved all the hassle of opening & closing the smoker door and wrapping and unwrapping the meat.  I am converted.  That is the confession.  (Wondering if spares vs. BB had anything to do with it?)
My question has to do with cleaning the inside of the smoker.  After each smoke I always remove the racks and clean them well with soap and water.  I remove all of the foil and give everything a casual wipe down.  I noticed this weekend that I am getting a buildup of black smoke flakes mainly on the top of the smoker.  My concerns is that this stuff will fall down on the meat and create some questionable flavors.
I have had my #2 for a couple of years now and I use it about every other weekend.  Should I take a couple of hours and scrub the thing down really good (back to the stainless) or am I worried about nothing?  If I should be scrubbing it down periodically, what should I use and do I need to re-season it when I'm finished?  I have always been under the impression that smoke buildup was good, but now that it has started to flake off when I wipe it, I'm beginning to question my logic.
Ravel
BSEE 1980 Clemson University
“Don't let your happiness depend on something that you may lose.” C.S. Lewis

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Rib Confession and Smoker Cleaning Question
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 03:43:06 PM »
I follow the same clean up method that you use, but once a year or so I will give the inside of the smoker a scraping with a putty knife to remove some of the black char build up.  Then I wipe it down really good, and start smoking again!   I keep the pan under the smoker when cleaning so I can sweep the black soot through the drain hole into the pan. 

Once every three months or so I also run the side racks through the dishwasher.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

CUTiger80

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 04:02:34 PM »
Steve,
Thanks for the response.  I think it is definitely time for the putty knife treatment and maybe a good scrubbing of the side racks.  Great idea of using the drain pan for a gunk catcher.
I have heard of folks putting the side racks and meat racks in the dishwasher after each smoke, but when I tried it, the dishwasher didn't clean them to my liking.  So, I scrub the meat racks in the sink with a stainless steel scrub pad and get them shiny again after each smoke and then just wipe at the side racks.
Ravel
BSEE 1980 Clemson University
“Don't let your happiness depend on something that you may lose.” C.S. Lewis

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 05:58:12 PM »
Same here...the meat racks don't fit well in my dishwasher, so I scrub them in the sink.  The side racks, though, fit perfectly in the dishwasher and come out looking almost new!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 07:27:05 PM »
I soak the racks and side rails in hot water after each use. Then after soaking, give them a light scrubbing to get the majority of the gunk off, then put in the dishwasher. Use a cheap plastic putty knife (will not scratch) to scrape off any thick build-ups on the inside surfaces of the smoker. An old credit card also works well for scraping. And give a general wipe with paper towels. I don't think it is necessary to ever clean your smoker down to the shiny new finish, but for some people here, it just makes them feel better to do that once in a while.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 07:29:00 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 10:06:55 PM »
Good to hear from you again, Ravel!  Thanks for the "confession;" ...welcome to the "no peek" club! 8)

I'm funny about my smokers.  I always wash the shelves, after each smoke.  I wipe down the floor to remove the grease that always finds its way under the foil (drips down the sides).

Then, about once a year, when the crust really builds up on the door and on top, I take everything out and give it a treatment of EZ-Off oven cleaner!  I also do the smoke box and shelf guides, at the same time.  After it sits awhile, I hose out the inside and the other parts.  Looks like a new smoker!  I then re-season, and start fresh!  This has no effect on the taste, but gets all that burnt creosote off the sides, top and door.  I don't care for my smoker to look like an old stick burner. ;)

I know there are lots of folks that probably think this is way overboard, but I don't mind.  This is just what I do, so just consider it my nickels-worth of 2¢! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

hvacgaspiping

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 05:47:18 PM »
Steve,
Thanks for the response.  I think it is definitely time for the putty knife treatment and maybe a good scrubbing of the side racks.  Great idea of using the drain pan for a gunk catcher.
I have heard of folks putting the side racks and meat racks in the dishwasher after each smoke, but when I tried it, the dishwasher didn't clean them to my liking.  So, I scrub the meat racks in the sink with a stainless steel scrub pad and get them shiny again after each smoke and then just wipe at the side racks.
If your dishwasher has a high temperature scrub setting, and your heating element in the dishwasher is getting the water hot enough, it should do a good job of cleaning your parts.  You have to first make sure any foil that is stuck onto the wood box is removed first, though.  I would discourage the use of anything abrasive, even a scotchbrite pad, as it will only make cleaning more difficult in the future.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 07:46:46 PM »
Clean the tracks and brush off loose stuff from sides and top.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus