Author Topic: Brining Bag HELP!!  (Read 9216 times)

Papa Rick

Brining Bag HELP!!
« on: September 03, 2015, 06:54:48 PM »
My wife has went to Wally World, Dollar General and Fred's and cannot find any brining bags!  I have one from last year I did not use.  Got 2 butts going to brine tonight, my question what can I use to do this with?

Got 2 of them from Sam's and they weigh 7.5 lbs.  Would it be alright to use a garbage bag, I know this may sound gross, but don't know what else to use at this time?
Richard from NE Alabama  # 2 smoker

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Brining Bag HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 07:04:52 PM »
2 gallon Ziploc bags from WallyWorld work fine, just be sure to set the bag in a pan (in case of failure).
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 08:07:25 PM »
Or you can use a smaller sized cooler filled with the brine and enough ice to keep it cold.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 08:34:50 PM »
Never use a garbage bag they are not meant to be in contact with food. I have used turkey roasting bags in a crisis they worked fine, just double zip tie to close it.

A clean cooler never fails, just keep plenty of frozen bottled water in it this time of year.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Papa Rick

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 08:45:16 PM »
Wally World was out of 2 gal Ziploc bags and only had the 1 gal, go figure.  Gonna have to drop back and punt on this one?

Papa Rick

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 10:47:33 PM »
Found oven browning bag to do the brining process!  THANKS Everyone.

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 02:42:16 AM »
Hey Richard, another thing you can do when you can't find a brining bag would be to just inject the Boston Butt. I use Super Dave's recipe for pork: 1 cup apple juice, 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 Tbsp kosher salt, 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce, 1 Tbsp rub, 1 Tsp garlic powder. Simmer until well dissolved, fully cool and inject with 1/2 oz. per pound.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

Papa Rick

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 07:34:20 AM »
Thanks Greg, this is something I have never ever tried to do before.  But as the saying goes there is a first time for everything.  I appreciate it.

Aspenextreme

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 10:15:53 PM »
Glad you found a option that works. Personally I love the briner and briner jr and well worth the price. Got mine at cabellas and would buy again.

smokeasaurus

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 10:20:02 PM »
I have used those turkey oven bags in a pinch. You can also just use a deep pot.

Never thought of brining butts........trying to get some flavor deep down eh.....??
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 09:28:02 AM »

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 11:58:14 AM »
Or you can use a smaller sized cooler filled with the brine and enough ice to keep it cold.
12 pack cooler is my preference as it is deep and narrow so that one gallon of brine is all that is needed versus something with soft sides and requires more brine for full coverage. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Bebe

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 03:01:52 PM »
Cambro 1/2 size pan are nice - you should get a lid and drain tray too. They come on different sizes, very well made, they'll last forever (made in USA, a rarity nowadays)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 03:07:52 PM by Bebe »
Pete
Brooklyn, NY

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 03:21:25 PM »
This is what I use for bigger items like turkeys or if I am brining multiple butts:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001E0JMCC

They come in smaller sizes too. I like that it is square verses "The Briner/Jr".

There are lots of options out there.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 04:16:04 PM »
The cambros always wet my appetite but every time I open the refrigerator, I ask myself, "where"? 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah