Author Topic: New Member and owner  (Read 9650 times)

BobM

• H.H. The Bahbi Lama
New Member and owner
« on: July 18, 2015, 05:10:17 PM »
Just registered today and got my smoker model 1 on Monday.  I'm retired from a popular Pro Audio Mfg company where I was the Sr. VP of Operations.  I'm mentioning this because I know a quality product and this little smoker is so well built and should last a long time.  A common thread is in products like this, the ones my company made and my four wheel pop up truck camper, all you have to do is check the forums to see the loyal customer base.  Bravo Smokin-It team!

So I seasoned it on Tuesday morning and smoked sockeye salmon in the afternoon.  For dinner I made the most awesome smoked fish tacos.  I didn't have cabbage so I picked some rainbow chard out of my garden and simmered it with some duck fat, lemon juice, maui onions, baby bella mushrooms.  Added the salmon and a can of organic corn.  it was so good!

While at Costco to buy the salmon I noticed some trimmed fresh pork belly so I got some.  Since I go to the farmers market on Thursdays to get my really good fish (for the BBQ), I decided to smoke the pork belly and slice into bacon.  Since I like to limited my sodium, I only marinated the pork belly with a little kosher salt, pepper and maple syrup. Before I sliced into bacon I cut off a corner of the smoked belly, yum!  I only put it in the fridge for a couple of hours before slicing since I wanted in that nights fish dinner.  It came out great but next time I'll let it rest longer overnight before slicing.  I now have a lot of bacon where I don't have to worry about too much sodium.

I'm still trying to figure how to post photos.  Looks like you need to use a hosting site, Here's a little slide show of the pork belly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLQrPe09ssg

Considering my first two smokes were done by the seat of my pants, I can't wait until I actually know what I'm doing ;D
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 05:16:08 PM by BobM »
-Bob from Huntington Beach CA
 Smokin-It model #1
 Taking BBQ to the next level, also own the big Weber Summit

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: New Member and owner
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 05:28:41 PM »
Looks like a fine first smoke.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 06:40:42 PM »
Welcome to Club Lazy Q, Bob!!  Thank you so much for the nice comments to the Smokin-It team!  It's not hard to promote a product that meets, and exceeds, expectations!

You'll learn a ton about bacon, and everything else BBQ, around here!  We have some real bacon experts, like Brian (Pork Belly).  Maybe he can give you some good tips on low-sodium recipes!

If you wouldn't mind, add your first name and town to your signature line - we're like family, around here, and like to know our new family members! 8)

Let us know how we can help, and I hope to see you around often!!

Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

BobM

• H.H. The Bahbi Lama
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 07:09:31 PM »
Done :)
 Smokin-It model #1

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 07:19:08 PM »
Welcome Bob, I too have the Little guy and so far has turned out really great foods. My current project is making some seafood racks for smoking almonds and maybe some salmon. Since had to eat a lot of fish on Fridays as a kid. Just not too kean on fish in general. But, the smoked salmon sounds really good. Today I tried a pork butt and it is resting in the cooler now. You will find a lot of good advice here. Good luck on your smokes.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

Ohio1956

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 07:40:10 PM »
Welcome Bob to the site from Columbus Ohio. A lot of good advice on this site.
Rod from Columbus, Ohio
Smokin-It #3

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 08:13:19 PM »
Welcome Bob from Saint Augustine Florida and proud owner of a #2 smoker.

You can post your photos right to this forum. Just start your post and then scroll down until you see  Attachments and other options

You will see the attach (Browse) click on browse and then locate the photo you have stored on your pc or camera and attach.

Greg

Grampy

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 10:23:21 PM »
Welcome Bob, from SW Arkansas! Congratulations on your #1.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 12:39:05 AM »
Welcome from Eastern MA! I also have the "little Guy".....You'll be amazed at it's performance.
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

BobM

• H.H. The Bahbi Lama
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 12:47:53 PM »
Thanks for all the welcome aboards! I can't wait until my next effort.  Regarding the photo attachments, I tried that but when I hit preview they didn't show up.  So I just did it again and hit save and now they are there.  Looks like you need to save for them to be processed correctly ::)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 12:53:50 PM by BobM »
 Smokin-It model #1

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2015, 01:45:19 PM »
Looks very good, great smoke ring.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2015, 02:43:49 PM »
Off to a great start, Bob! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

drains

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2015, 02:49:50 PM »
Welcome from Texas Bob. Lots of good times and great food are in your future. Enjoy your new smoker.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2015, 04:18:58 PM »
Welcome from Delaware, Bob!   We look forward to hearing about your smokes, and keep the pics coming!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

BBQ4YO

• Smokin-It #1
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2015, 11:04:05 PM »
Welcome Bob, from Fresno CA...........also owner of a SI #1, from your post looks like you have a handle on it..............
Isaac from Fresno CA
Smoker Model #1
Original Kettle 18"
Maverick 732