Author Topic: Favorite Wood  (Read 11572 times)

Desjeany

Favorite Wood
« on: March 03, 2013, 09:01:16 PM »
I really like the flavor fruit wood gives meat.  I smoked a Turkey and used apple and cherry wood, and the flavor was amazing.  Alder also gives a good light smokey flavor.  Mesquite is just to strong for me most of the time, so hickory and pecan are my choices most other times.  Anyway, just my picks. 

psoltesz

• Model #1 Owner
Re: Favorite Wood
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 10:27:24 PM »
I've always wanted to smoke a ham using sugar maple chunks.  Haven't tried it yet, as sugar maple only seems to be available online.

I'm pretty partial to hickory for most beef, and I usually use apple for poultry and pork.

I've been experimenting with alder wood recently, and it seems to be pretty nice. Pretty mellow flavor, and good smoke.

- Phil
I'm your huckleberry...

schway

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 05:28:11 PM »
Just a place to check and maybe help you with choice of woods. http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/Downloads_files/SmokingFlavorChart.pdf
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 11:41:22 AM by schway »

psoltesz

• Model #1 Owner
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 08:00:22 PM »
Hey, has anyone else noticed how great the hickory chunks Steve sells on smokin-it.com are?  I used up the ones he included with my Model #1, and they were great.  I remember thinking how unusual they looked when I first got them (kind of like big pieces of doweling), and wondering if they would work as well as the more "natural" looking chunks.  But after using both, I really think the cylindrical ones Steve sells are actually better than the others.

What does everyone else think?

- Phil
I'm your huckleberry...

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 12:22:21 AM »
Some of the natural wood I have used has been sort of barky and it takes some time to remove.  Also, I have heart wood as well as the clearer outer wood which I prefer. The dense stuff works great in my stick burner (and the fireplace) but the closed environment of the electric smoker begs for clean wood. So, I am in agreement with you.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Desjeany

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 05:49:32 PM »
I noticed right from the start that the tubes smoke better.  I guess I'll find out when I finally get some meat in my smoker :(  Hopefully tomorrow

Rob Babcock

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 03:33:25 AM »
Hey, has anyone else noticed how great the hickory chunks Steve sells on smokin-it.com are?  I used up the ones he included with my Model #1, and they were great.  I remember thinking how unusual they looked when I first got them (kind of like big pieces of doweling), and wondering if they would work as well as the more "natural" looking chunks.  But after using both, I really think the cylindrical ones Steve sells are actually better than the others.

What does everyone else think?

- Phil

I agree!  I also initially was a little skeptical as they looked like carpentry dowels!  But they turned out to be really superb.  When I bought my #3 I purchased 3 bags of hickory to go with it, and now I'm just about thru the first bag (I've also been using other woods).  The stuff from Smokin-It really is about as good as anything I can find.

I will say though that I just ordered some of the Pucks that someone mentioned on another thread.  Hopefully they'll be good, too.

Desjeany

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 10:35:40 AM »
I also ordered some of the Peterson pucks as well.  I've read around the various forums that they work quite well.  I also thought they were pretty reasonably priced for the amount you get.

es1025

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 06:08:57 AM »
I am looking at ordering some wood probably cherry or apple from the fruitawood company.  20 lbs in chunk sizes for $32 with free shipping.  I'll have a lot of smoking to do with that much wood.

The pucks seem interesting as well, are they worth the cost?
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

afratki

• Owner: Smokin-It #1
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 06:27:27 PM »
My order from Mike's Tree Farm (http://www.bestbarbecuewood.com/BBQ_Smoking_Wood_Chunks_s/44.htm) just came in. I ordered the 25lb variety pack of hickory, apple and cherry. I'm just about out of the sample pack that came with my #1 and really liked the hickory but can't wait to experiment with cherry and apple. Unfortunately it will have to wait until next weekend  :(

http://
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 09:35:13 PM »
Let us know their quality once you've had a chance to test them.  Also, how much was their shipping and the turnaround time on your order?
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

afratki

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 08:11:05 AM »
Shipping was $20 for me and the variety pack was advertised as 25 - 30 lbs, I received almost 28lbs. I ordered them Saturday night and they arrived Thursday (there was an order email confirmation, there was no email when they shipped).

The chunks were a little bigger than I hoped, with a random sample of 8 or so their weight out of the box was 4 - 10 oz so I have some splitting up to do. Also the chunks are 100% bark free but some have quite a few knots, does anyone know how this will affect the burn? I'll let you know how they smoke after I have a chance to use them.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 08:13:07 PM by afratki »
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

afratki

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 08:36:11 AM »
Let us know their quality once you've had a chance to test them.

I smoked a 5 lb bird last night with a 2.5 oz chunk of apple wood from Mike's. At 225, I had about 2 1/2 hours of nice thin white smoke pumping from the top of my #1. This morning I looked and the wood was mostly grey ash with a small black piece. Pretty happy with quality of wood and the wife and I really like the taste the apple added to the chicken. 
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 06:08:40 PM by afratki »
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!