Author Topic: SI vs Traeger vs Keg - Round One Results are IN!!  (Read 23423 times)

Barrel99

Re: Coming Soon!
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2015, 07:36:45 PM »
Sounds great RG. I had 30 people over this weekend for a pool party. Served all kinds of stuff including pulled pork and smoked Mac and Cheese. The compliments were wonderful. Nothing much left of anything.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

RG

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2015, 08:25:51 PM »
Cool!! I used to host a family reunion once a year in the Fall. It got to be tiresome and I LOVE to cook but it was just too much. I would ask people, family mind you, to bring a side dish or dessert and it wouldn't happen so I just did everything. I realized that I was spending some major bank and in the end it seemed like nobody gave a damn as to whether I put it together or not. I didn't do one this last fall, first time in years and nobody said a peep! A crying shame really.

I do miss seeing everyone and getting compliments on the food but I don't miss the expense and the seemingly ungrateful relatives, lol!!

Barrel99

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2015, 09:14:04 PM »
Sorry to hear that Jason. Family get togethers are so important. My wife and I have done everything since I can remember. But now we started assigning specific dishes to people and it has been working well. As a matter of fact, they now bring other dishes in addition to their assigned one. Sometimes it takes a little push.

We also learned, franks and burgers are just as effective as pulled pork, ribs and brisket. They come to be together, not for the food. So if I do it, it's because I want to.

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

RG

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2015, 07:14:06 AM »
I understand what you're saying. It just seemed that some of them (my niece and her husband, my nephew and my brother-in-law) would say they were coming and then not show up. Then my brother's kids would say they were coming and not. I had a head count and cooked accordingly, always too much, food got sent home with every last one of them! So when they didn't show up, some of them being responsible for bringing things, it just threw things out of whack.

The last time I did it in 2013, my niece and her son and husband were told 3 months in advance as everyone was. I always do it in the Fall, in the first week or two of October. They were told in July at a cookout on the 4th. They said they'd be there. Made a Facebook page as I always do, sent invites, they confirmed. The day before the event, they say they can't make it. There's a concert that they forgot they had tickets to. Rrrrrriiiiiiiggghhhhttt!

A host of others bailed then so I basically said that was the end of it. If they want to do it again, let them organize the event, do the cooking, etc. Even if it is just dogs and burgers. No one has said a peep, asked about it, offered to host. Not a word! So........that's that!

Speaking of burgers....check this one out Whoppa

Barrel99

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2015, 05:54:48 PM »
I understand very well. We only request appetizers and desserts. That way we always have the main meal under control. We also keep chips, pretzels, nuts cheese and cookies in the house in case they don't bring apps and desserts. I have decided a 20% dropout rate is probable and plan accordingly. We love to give to go boxes and always overcook anyway. Just our way to plan and enjoy.

RG

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2015, 09:17:40 AM »
I am going to be doing a SI vs Keg vs Traeger test today. It's not what I originally had in mind but it will be a start. I was planning (and still am planning) to do a Boston Butt comparison. Today I am doing Beef Back Ribs. Since I did not brine the Ribs, I assume that the SI ones will not have a smoke ring so visually it will be identifiable but we shall see how the taste and tenderness stack up against the other two smokers. Stay tuned!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2015, 02:03:34 PM »
Looking forward to the results, Jason!!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

1stlink

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2015, 04:05:40 PM »
 Jason I'm really loving your outdoor kitchen and looking forward to the results of your shoot-out/battle Royale.  :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 04:08:18 PM by Ralph »

RG

Re: SI vs Traeger vs Keg - Round One Results are IN!!
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2015, 07:12:37 PM »
Thanks Ralph!

Now, on to the results.

Here are finished pics on each smoker

Traeger Jr.

Smokin-It #3

Big Steel Keg (Broil King Keg)

I must mention that the SI#3 got the biggest rack of the bunch as you can tell by the pics it does not have as many "shiners" due to being so dang meaty!

Here is a shot of the sampling board. I apologize for the carnage! Those bones were nibbled on by my Wife and Son before I was smart enough to take a picture, lol! From left to right - Keg, Traeger, SI#3

The meat was smoked with Peach on all 3 smokers. The SI and Keg used chunks while the Traeger used pellets. All went for close to 6 hours at a range of 225-250 (each has temp swings as all grills/smokers do). All were seasoned with Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express Coffee Infused Rub.

The Voting went like this (keep in mind, I KNEW which was which but my Wife and Son did not.

Ranking by number
Wife - 1=Traeger  2=SI  3=Keg
Son - 1=SI  2=Traeger  3=Keg
Me - 1=Traeger  2=SI  3=Keg

The one we were all in agreement on was the Keg! It was last (still very good mind you). That will be a SHOCKER to my Keg brethren, lol.

Tenderness was very close between the Traeger and the SI with the Keg being slightly less tender.
Appearance goes to the SI but I think that was due to it just being a bigger rack.

Overall, nobody was complaining about any of them but alas, this round does go to the Traeger. If I had to grade these, using the Traeger as a 100, the SI Ribs were a 90 and the Keg gets an 80.

The Mighty Keg is my best all around cooker but that doesn't mean squat when it came to this cook! The SI held it's own. My Son even picked it as #1!!

RG

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2015, 07:21:27 PM »
I just realized that I belong to the SI and Keg forums but not the Traeger one. Both of the ones I contribute to I had to tell bad news about the results. That's just wrong, lol!

I don't even know if Traeger has an online community, I honestly have never looked into it. :P

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2015, 07:22:10 PM »
Nice, Jason!  If I could taste the pics, the SI wins hands-down! ;)   Fine-lookin' ribs, all around!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

1stlink

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2015, 07:27:17 PM »
 Looks like win-win-win to me. you guys to get to eat some great ribs.  I also would like to congratulate your son on being an excellent judge.   ;)

RG

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2015, 07:37:21 PM »
Those SI ones do look good! They were much meatier than the other 2 racks. I may have to go back in a bit to nibble a little more of those bad boys ;)

There will be a round 2 coming up with Boston Butts. I'll go ahead and tell you that I am betting today's winner will finish last in Round 2! It will be a Keg and SI battle (based on past experience). I should have a much larger test panel too, so this ought to be a good one!!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2015, 08:42:09 PM »
No water or juice pan on the Traeger or SI?  Just curious or maybe I missed it scrolling through. 

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2015, 08:47:25 PM »
Thanks from taking the time to do this, pretty cool. It looks like the Trager Ribs may have been a little meatier, that may have been an issue. The Keg ribs appear dry where they?

I don't knock the Trager, I don't own one but have unrestricted access to a friends Large Trager. t is a good unit for most things but I like my SI or a searing hot bead of coals too.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud