Author Topic: And So it Begins!  (Read 9045 times)

jdiver

And So it Begins!
« on: August 02, 2014, 12:23:52 PM »
The ribs and potatoes are in, set to 220. Now I have to wait...

Less than 24 hours after my new SI2 arrived, We'll be enjoying our first meal from it...

BTW, does it matter that I didn't put the ribs up further? Should I have put the rack in the top most position?
-JD-
Big Green Egg and SI2
Love Pork

WeekendWarrior

Re: And So it Begins!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 12:26:37 PM »
Looks good to me, I usually put my ribs on the top rack, but it shouldn't make that much difference.
Bruce - Iowa
#2 Owner
Iowa National Guard - Retired
Computer Geek

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 12:29:14 PM »
From what I have come to understand, going as high as possible is best. That looks like a fine meal, I still haven't tried potatoes. Although I did do some corn in the husk last week it was incredible. Enjoy your meal.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 12:38:01 PM »
Looks good, JD.   I think the rack placement is fine, but I put the potatoes above the ribs.   Your method should be fine as well...let us know how you make out!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

WeekendWarrior

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 12:40:42 PM »
I put my taters below and the melting fat bastes them with great flavor!
Bruce - Iowa
#2 Owner
Iowa National Guard - Retired
Computer Geek

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 01:03:52 PM »
Looks good to me.  I would have raised the shelves one level, but your meal will turn out great just as well.
What time should I be there for dinner?
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

jdiver

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 01:14:07 PM »
I actually intended the ribs to be on the top most position. Got the potatoes in, then just slid the ribs in, and shut it, turned on. Then when posting realized I didn't put them at the top:) Too excited I guess...

As far as potatoes below the ribs. That was intentional. Want the ribs to drip on them. I think I'll like em that way. And if not, I'll try it reverse next time.  Also, I have both Gold and Russet potatoes in there. Had the gold for a salad, didn't have time to make it ahead. So thought of adding some to the smoker, then had some russet and decided try them as well. If they all come out good, no problem, nothing will go to waste.

Thanks everyone for the comments, very appreciated.
-JD-
Big Green Egg and SI2
Love Pork

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 01:17:00 PM »
Everything is better with Pork Fat. What did you rub the pork with?
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

jdiver

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 02:46:19 PM »
Used two different commercial rubs found at Whole Foods and used previously. One more on the spicy side, I like, and one on the sweeter side, wife likes. I'm already sweet enough :) First some mustard base, then the rub. Wrapped up and left in fridge overnight.

I think one was Bone Suckin... And the other 3 Beer something.
-JD-
Big Green Egg and SI2
Love Pork

es1025

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 02:54:10 PM »
JD
Looks great, next time bump the temp to 225-230. I smoke my ribs at 235.

Imo, as long as the rack is close to the top you are ok.

I have ribs smoking. 5.15 hours no peeking.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

jdiver

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 06:09:28 PM »
Dinner was great, loved the ribs. And REALLY loved the potatoes. Wow did they ever absorb the smoke. And the texture. I expected the golds to be dense, but so were the russets, loved them, lots.

Did 220 4.5 hours, didn't touch the door once... I wouldn't mind a bit more smoke. Would one more piece of wood give me more flavor, or just more smoke at the start?

Just glad we have leftover.
-JD-
Big Green Egg and SI2
Love Pork

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 06:15:15 PM »
You got me thinking!  I have always done the taters on top, but I wonder now what they might taste like with some rib rub on them...let me know!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 06:23:56 PM »
Congrats, JD!  4.5 hours @ 220 seems a little on the light side for ribs...do you like them chewy?  I'm a fall-off-the-bone guy, so I'm usually 5+ @ 235.  I agree with Ed about the higher temp for ribs.  I used to use 225, but now use 235 with great results!

Cool idea about the taters!  I bet they were great with some pork fat and rub dripped on them! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jdiver

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 06:33:41 PM »
They were very tender, could just suck the meat off the bones:) But I'll try 235 next time. Going to spend a fortune in meat just trying out different ways:)

One thing I don't like. Too much rub. Every video I've seen people say to totally cover it then add more. I want seasoning, but not thick coating where you are eating rub. Any suggestions for getting bark sans too much rub?
-JD-
Big Green Egg and SI2
Love Pork

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 06:48:15 PM »
They were very tender, could just suck the meat off the bones:) But I'll try 235 next time. Going to spend a fortune in meat just trying out different ways:)

One thing I don't like. Too much rub. Every video I've seen people say to totally cover it then add more. I want seasoning, but not thick coating where you are eating rub. Any suggestions for getting bark sans too much rub?

I don't add more before smoking.  I coat my ribs with yellow mustard, rub (not so thick you can't see through it a little), and wrap in plastic for a night in the fridge.  When I unwrap, they go right on the shelves and into the smoker.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!