Author Topic: Question  (Read 2413 times)

PWSOT

Question
« on: July 14, 2014, 03:27:18 PM »
How much wood should I use for a bone in turkey breast and what temp?Thanks in advance.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 04:02:01 PM »
I would go with no more than 3oz of wood and a temp of 225F.     A turkey breast (depending on size) should take 2-3 hours to smoke, but I would recommend using a remote therm (like the maverick) and go until the breast reaches an IT of 165.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

es1025

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 07:12:58 PM »
I would recommend a brine.  Makes the bird incredibly juicy. 

One caveat you may not be able to get crispy skin.  I read some where cord starch in the salt free rubs make promote browning.  I posted my turkey breast recipe in the poultry section.

Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 07:49:27 PM »
I agree with brining (unless the breast is already injected with a "solution"), and also with the 3 oz of wood recommendation.  I like to smoke poultry at 250.  It'll get the skin about as brown and done as you're going to without going above 250.  Poultry doesn't benefit from "low and slow," like pork or beef, so go as high as the unit will let you.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 11:20:12 PM »
I agree with he wood amounts, temps and cook times listed by the others. My opinion is to never expect crispy poultry skin and you wont be disappointed.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 08:17:08 PM »
If you have an Auber and bypassed unit, you can push to 350.  I tried chicken by attempting to go to 325 once the chicken hit 130, but it cooked too fast.  Next bird I do will start out at 325, just to see what happens.  I'll conquer the done chicken skin if it takes every bird in Arkansas! >:(
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!