Author Topic: It's Done !  (Read 3718 times)

GeeBee

It's Done !
« on: March 14, 2014, 07:49:27 PM »
Went to the Columbus, Ohio Turkey and Deer Expo this afternoon. Met Steve and I think his wife (I forgot to ask). Picked up all my new gear and had a nice chat with him. Got everything home. I'm not sure how to put pictures in the body of the text, so the first picture is everything in the boxes. #2 smoker, cold plate, PID and jerky dryer. Steve threw in a camo cover and chip screen and some wood. Second picture shows everything unpacked. Third picture is the unit resplendent in it's new clothes. Tomorrow is bypass the cabinet controller and break in smoke.
Gary in Hebron, Ohio
#2 with Auber PID and happy about it !

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: It's Done !
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 07:53:30 PM »
That's one fine setup there, Gary!  Glad you got to buy direct from the owners!  Oh, the good times are ahead for you!!  I'm sure you'll have some questions with a war chest that big, so don't hesitate.  Congrats!! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 12:14:43 PM »
Sweet!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

GeeBee

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 05:25:45 PM »
Got the baby broke in today.  ;D Programmed the PID to do 250 degrees for 4 hours. Put 2 dowels in the wood box after splitting them both in half. They weighed a total of 4 3/4 ounces. Hit the on button and watched briefly. First noticeable smoke was around 75 degrees. Then I had to move on to other things. About an hour and 15 minutes later I checked on things. PID showed 256 degrees and smoking nicely. 249 degrees at the 2 hour mark. 250 degrees at the 3 hour mark. At the 3.9 hour mark I went out and looked at the unit. Temp was at 245 degrees, but while I watched it started climbing a degree at a time until it hit 250 right at the 4 hour mark, then the alarm went off that it was done. I'm impressed. Pretty stable temps for an empty box. Ambient air was 45 to 49 today with a pretty stiff breeze blowing. Tomorrow.......jerky. New post to follow. BTW, I forgot to mention, I did the factory control bypass first. Took about 5 minutes.
Gary in Hebron, Ohio

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 07:13:15 PM »
Great, Gary!  Good first step!  I notice a couple of things in your "after" picture.  First, no need to foil during seasoning (for those watching that haven't seasoned one yet).  The foil is just during cooking to make cleanup easier. Save your money - that's stuff's expensive now!

Secondly, you had combustion in the smoke box.  Notice the black area on the door?  That's from the wood combusting.  I had the same thing happen in the #2.  I split the hickory dowels in my #1 (smaller element), but don't in the #2.  The element gets hot really fast.  One way to virtually eliminate the combustion problem is to "ramp" the temp with the PID.  Set your first step to C01 130     E01 t     t01 .5.  This gets the wood to 130, then lets it smolder at that low temp.  At the end of 30 minutes, the element kicks back on to climb to 225.  No more combustion, for me, with this trick.  Had been standing there watching it the whole time, you'd have seen the famous "smoke belch!"
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

es1025

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 09:24:13 AM »
that's a nice set up.  I have to get one of those camo covers.

Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 10:01:23 AM »
The camo covers are cool!  Steve told me they're better-made than the black ones.  In the picture, it looks like the seam tape is a lot stronger-looking.
Tony from NW Arkansas

GeeBee

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 10:26:47 AM »
Tony,
Thanks for the tips. I just went ahead and did the foil because I'm going to be doing jerky. I wondered about the black spot. Now I know. I split the wood so I would get complete consumption, but what you say makes sense.
Gary in Hebron, Ohio

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 11:26:40 AM »
Tony,

I am getting the combustion in the beginning of most smokes as well.   Are you suggesting starting the smoke with a low set temp (I don't have the PID) like 150F, letting it cycle at least once, and then raising the temp to 225F or whatever the desired smoke temp is?   
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 12:51:55 PM »
That's right, Steve.  I've found no higher than 130 for the first half-hour seems to work well.  It gives the wood a little "rest" before blasting it again.  Especially in the # 2 and 3, that sucker gets pretty hot!
Tony from NW Arkansas

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 07:17:09 AM »
Thanks...I will try this out next weekend.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2