Author Topic: just recieved  (Read 3205 times)

stagger

just recieved
« on: March 12, 2014, 10:06:09 AM »
Hi, Stagger here. Just received my model # 2 yesterday and seasoned it. one question, it does not come with water pan, should liquid be used or would humidity be bad for heating element? Thank you for any input.

Walt

Re: just recieved
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 10:12:19 AM »
Most of us use a disposable aluminum loaf pan & add apple juice, beer, water, etc.  Some don't use anything since it is sealed so well.  I prefer to use liquid.

Any questions don't hesitate to ask.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 10:29:35 AM by Walt »
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 10:16:18 AM »
Welcome stagger!   When I first started with my #2, I did not use a water pan.  However, over the last few months, I have used a small AL disposable loaf pan with apple juice.  I put it on the floor of the unit - close, but not touching the smoke box.   Truth be told, I forget why I switched to the pan...but I think it was when I went to the "no peaky" method of smoking BB ribs where I was not using the 2-2-1 method that includes foiling ribs in apple juice.   

I think the small loaf pan works well, but others have commented that the units are so well sealed that they maintain moisture.   Try it both ways and see which one you prefer!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

stagger

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 11:04:09 AM »
Thanks for your input, much appreciated

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 11:48:17 AM »
As others have said, these units are very tight and maintain a lot of moisture. I think it is more beneficial for meats that have a tendency to dry out rather than moist meats such as Boston Butts.

That being said, I use the water pans "every" time for the following reasons:
  • It allows an opportunity to impart some extra flavor and that can't be bad
  • Serves as a heat sink which helps stabilize the temperatures in the unit
Just make sure that you are placing the water pan on the bottom of the smoker, not on a tray directly beneath the meat as some have found that this can affect the accuracy of the built-in temperature probe.

I place my Aluminum Mini-Loaf pan directly next to my smoker box (touching it) while it looks like Steve places his next to the box but not touching it. I am not sure if it matters or not.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 02:42:40 PM »
Yes, I do not touch the bow with the loaf pan, but it is within an inch or so of the box, perhaps close enough!   I try to keep it away so it doesn't block the holes of the box.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 03:46:44 PM »
That's not a bad idea to make sure that you are not blocking the holes.

I guess I didn't think of that. I just wanted the pan as close to the element as possible, so that the water would get as hot as possible.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 04:04:19 PM »
I tuck my loaf pan right up to the box; I want it to get the most heat, and act as a better heat sink (better heat transfer, in my eyes).  I've never had any concerns about blocking the holes, since they're on the bottom and the sides of the box, and have never had a problem getting enough smoke.  The pan doesn't sit tight against the holes; just the top lip is against the side.  Just my 2-cents!  Welcome to the club, Stagger!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 06:58:19 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

es1025

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 08:20:41 AM »
Stagger
I use a small loaf pan to keep the moisture in the box. I use only hot water with some seasonings.
l place the pan right next to the box. Every smoke I use a water pan. I tend to to smoke a little hotter than most.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?