Author Topic: Johnny Trigg lookout  (Read 2123 times)

mnsmoker

Johnny Trigg lookout
« on: March 04, 2014, 09:37:31 AM »
Despite the -4 temps yesterday I just had to do some babybacks. Found some shorter yet thick ribs for 12 bucks a piece so I did not have to even cut in half. Seasoned with famous Daves 2 small loaf pans full of water next to the element 3 ounces of hickory and a few chunks hickory charcoal hooked up the maverick set the dial to 225 and.............1 hour later the temp read 219. I saw 214 to 219 and only one 223 the entire 5 hours unreal still cant believe the temp control I get. After 5 hours I took em out and they were alittle under cooked so I foiled with brown sugar butter and sauce for 1 hour at 250 in the oven all I can say is Johnny Trigg lookout man I could not believe it my wife said easily right up there with my best. They were contest quality great mahogany color tender yet not fall off the bone and spot on flavor just very excited as baby backs are my pride and joy. After 10 years and hundreds of racks I still get excited when I hit it just right plus the ease of use is unreal............. hooked on my new toy for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jim from Minnesota

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Johnny Trigg lookout
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 10:02:59 AM »
Nice, Jim!  Most people wouldn't believe you can do that in -4 weather!  I hear Trigg's nervous!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

mnsmoker

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 10:08:45 AM »
I was more than a little surprised by the quality was thinking more like average......... still chasing the smoke ring
Jim from Minnesota

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 12:04:56 PM »
The few chunks of charcoal didn't make a noticeable ring?  I never had any luck trying the charcoal method...just wondering. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!