Author Topic: Need some help!  (Read 4676 times)

es1025

Need some help!
« on: April 19, 2013, 07:14:17 AM »
I am trying to decide what smoker to purchase the #2 or #3.  I have read many reviews/comments on both machines and all are positive.  Is the $100 and the $75 in shipping worth the price for the #3? I plan on smoking ribs and pork. 
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Re: Need some help!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 02:55:39 PM »
I was down between the same two choices as you.  My internal debate was:

- Buy the #2 with the cart.
- Buy the #3 as a standalone product.

Eventually, I settled on the #3 for several reasons.  First and foremost, the depth of the #3 permits me to smoke whole racks of ribs without halving the racks or resorting to rib hooks.  I also like the extra total volume for large cookouts and charity events (golf tournaments and whatnot) I might help cater.  Third, to me the extra height of the #3, higher wattage, and extra shelving were simply too useful to ignore.

I think you'll be thrilled with either choice, honestly.  I may still order the cart for the #3 but it is easy to use and easy to clean even resting on casters.  The relatively small amount of wood needed for a good smoke in these models is astounding, and the impact on my electric bill (running at least one smoke per weekend since I purchased it) has been negligible.

If you have the space, have the need for the increased capacity, and the cost isn't a deal breaker I'd say go big or go home.  You won't regret the #3 ...
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 02:59:13 PM »
I think you need to assess your needs for now and into the future. Cooking for a couple of folks regularly and maybe a small gathering once in a while?  The number 2 should suffice.  If on the other hand you you cook lots of food at a time, whether it is just for a couple of people or a crowd, then go for the model 3.

Tossing out that idea altogether, keep in mind that you can always cook less in a large smoker but never more in a small smoker.

And to answer the money question:  Yes.  I would personally go for the larger model 3 just in case I ever needed the capacity. But if it is too large for you lifestyle/intended use, then stick with the model 2 and spend the difference on accessories and food.

Happy smoking!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

es1025

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 06:14:52 AM »
Thanks for the advise UWFSAE and Sarge, leaning toward the #3 based on the higher wattage and the fact that you can't get bigger with the #2.  I figure to order within the next week.  I have a laundry list of accessories to order as well. This will be my first venture into smoking meats. 1st item on the menu ribs.
Ed from Northern NJ

Rob Babcock

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 03:21:03 AM »
I agonized for a couple weeks over the models, and then decided to get the #3.  I couldn't be happier!  It's really large, and for me that's been nice.  Once I cooked 8 racks of ribs for my family and the extra room was nice.  Any Smokin-It will be nice, so don't feel like you're "settling" with any of them.  That said, you can indeed cook less food in a large model more easily than more food in a small one.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 11:35:39 PM »
Now is the time to order a model 3; Steve is put of stock so will throw in a cover and rib hooks for free.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

es1025

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 08:20:27 AM »
Wow, have been busy the past few days. Now is definitely the time. #3 for sure, with a free cover and rib hooks. Now I can start gathering the necessary tools of the trade. Thanks for all your help and guidance.
Ed from Northern NJ

mikeinctown

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 08:29:12 AM »
I have the #2 and I would have gone with the #3 if funds allowed. Whole racks of ribs or even a larger hunk of brisket would be awesome. the #2 cannot take a whole brisket and it must be cut in half.

es1025

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 07:45:32 AM »
Thanks all, ordered the #3, need to wait until the 28th. The larger heating element and the freebies, worth the extra cost.
Ed from Northern NJ