Author Topic: New Model 2 owner with a quick question  (Read 3752 times)

PadronMan

New Model 2 owner with a quick question
« on: November 10, 2013, 03:06:37 PM »
Just received my Model 2  ;D  Can't wait to get that thing smokin some copious amounts of meat and such.  Quick question for the group.  In the instructions it says not to Preheat the smoker.  I am sure there is a reason but Im not sure what it is.  Can someone enlighten me?  If I preheated the unit would it cause a super nova?  :o

Thanks for any info you can give a new owner

Padronman

es1025

Re: New Model 2 owner with a quick question
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 06:01:45 PM »
Welcome aboard, I believe it's because we are using electricity and if any liquid spills on the heating element it could cause a problem.  Almost every smoking book i have ready says electric smokers should start-up with the meat in place.

Our smoker heats up very quick, mine get over 200 in about 15 minutes.

There is even a warning message right on the smoker label!

Enjoy!

Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

PadronMan

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 08:41:02 PM »
Thanks Much!!!!  Knew I would get a quick answer!!!

:)

PadronMan

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 09:38:33 PM »
I think the other issue is the location of the wood box...if you pre-heat, you could get a real burn trying to open the wood box to insert the wood.  So, insert the wood in the wood box, put the meat in, seal it up and let it work its magic!   My #2 heats to full temp within 30 minutes, and I normally see smoke within 15 minutes.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 07:46:02 PM »
Scott, it really doesn't have to do with a "safety" issue (although Steve and Ed have very valid points on that subject); what it really boils down to is functionality of an electric smoker, and meat temp.

Here's what I mean:  First, if you use a stick-burner, or other "fueled" smoker, you must prepare it in advance.  You can't get charcoal started with meat on the grill, right?  No choice but to preheat.  With the SI smokers, the idea is to close the food inside and not open the door during the smoke - it's a controlled environment, and you want to reduce wild temp swings and too much air in the box during cooking.  Much more efficient that way.  Avoid opening the door as much as possible.

The other issue, on functionality, is smoke penetration of the meat.  You know how we normally start with "room temp" or cool meat on a regular smoker?  That doesn't work with these smokers.  You need to start with cold meat, in a cold smoker, because the meat will warm to almost room-temp by the time the smoke starts rolling.  It normally takes 15-20 min to start seeing smoke, so if you start with room-temp meat, it's going to cook for 20 minutes before the smoke hits it.  Since meat only "absorbs" smoke until it hits about 140-degrees, you want to maximize the time spent "in the smoke" up to that point.

Of course, I could be wrong. ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

PadronMan

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 12:59:16 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  Just made it back from visiting Boise State University with my son and am going to do my first smoke on the #2.  Starting with 2 whole chickens (cheap in case I screw it up) and some ABT's.  Will post pics and such when done. 

Scott

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 05:42:53 PM »
Can't wait to hear the results, Scott! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

javelina

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 10:17:22 PM »
great question and thread.  I learned something new too...   :D

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 01:40:11 AM »
Best info is right there. Start the meat and the smoker at same time. Meat has the most time to absorb the smoke. Don't use too much wood since this is a very sealed smoker. Use around 1.5-2 oz of wood. It will take time to get used to the amount needed but overall it is very slim to use and works great! Welcome to the SI club and this group is great to answer all your questions.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2