Author Topic: New #2 - Amount of wood for first smoke?  (Read 6206 times)

dehager

New #2 - Amount of wood for first smoke?
« on: October 19, 2013, 09:21:34 PM »
My #2 arrived Thursday, a big thanks to Stephen!!!  It's all seasoned and did a few dry runs with a big pot of water to understand the temperature.  I am smoking an 8lb Butt @ 225'F tomorrow morning for pulled pork.  The picture shows 5.5oz of Apple and .75oz of Post Oak.  Is 6.5oz enough for a four hour smoke?  Too much, too little?

Hope to post pics of my first smoke tomorrow...  Any comments would be appreciated. 

Thanks, Dana

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: New #2 - Amount of wood for first smoke?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 09:42:02 PM »
Hi Dehager - welcome to the gang!  You've made a wise purchase!

On to your questions:  First, 6 1/4 oz of wood is not really too much for an 8 lb butt, but you could certainly get away with 5 to 6.  Your pork butt will only absorb smoke until it reaches around 140-degress; after that, the smoke collects on the surface (this is what causes people to think it's "too smokey").  Another thought - if you know you really like apple wood for pork, you have a winning plan.  I find apple to be a unique taste that people either like, or don't.  I have switched to hickory and cherry for pulled pork to give a more "familiar" taste.  Just my 2-cents...

Secondly, you asked if the wood would be enough for a "4 hours smoke."  Make no mistake, your 8 lb butt will take more than twice that time.  Figure anywhere from 1 to 1 1/2 hours per pound to hit 200-degrees on a butt for pulled pork!  Plan accordingly!  When you hit 200 internal, make sure you double-foil wrap for about an hour before pulling.  This is important!

The key to good Q is to focus on internal temp - not time - and be patient!  ???   Fortunately, patience comes easy with these smokers because you don't have to constantly tend to them and babysit!  Put that rascal in there tomorrow morning, plug in a thermometer and don't mess with it until it hits 200.  It's like the BBQ "Easy Button!"

When you can, post some pics of your pork butt, and give details about your prep and cook - we LOVE details! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

dehager

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 10:11:39 PM »
DivotMaker,

Thank you. I should have worded it differently, I meant to say enough wood for four hours of "smoking" time not total "cooking" time.  I do have Cherry and Hickory so I may try that.  Thanks for the comments!!!

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 10:38:32 PM »
Good luck with your first smoke, Dehager!  Let us know how it goes, and ask about anything you're not sure about.  We're here to help, and we've all been through the same issues!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

es1025

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 11:31:47 AM »
Dana
Most meats only take smoke up to 140 internal temperature.  I would recommend going a little light on the wood until you get your smoke flavor profile. 

I use 6oz for 8-10# butt, 3 oz for ribs, and 3 oz for 3# brisket. 

I would also suggest to split the chinks a little smaller they smoke more efficiently.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 07:37:41 PM »
Good point on splitting, Ed!  I followed your advice about splitting the hickory dowels in half, and find they work a lot better!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Gunner105

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 09:14:59 AM »
Thanks for the info about splitting the chunks! The large bowl of water is a great idea also.  Glad I finally decided to get a smoker and found this site.

Why 200 degrees?  I thought that you wanted 165ish internal?  Also, why the double wrap foil? 

I ask in ignorance, I am waiting for my #2 to arrive later this week.  Personally I've planned on ribs for my first smoke.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 10:32:20 AM »
Gunner...for poultry, an IT of 165 is about right.  For a boston butt where you want to make pulled pork, the IT needs to be much higher (around 200) so the meat will pull apart.   The wrapping part for a butt is to allow the juices to re-distribute after the meat has reach 200IT, so you can remove from the smoker, wrap, and let it sit for an hour or so before pulling.

DM advises about 1.5 hours per lb to smoke a butt to 200IT, but I would advise allowing more time.   I have done two smokes with 7# butts and both times I needed 2-3 more hours to reach 200IT.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

dehager

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 01:02:55 PM »
Gunner,

This weekend I did the first smoke in my new #2. I did a 7.87lb butt @ 225'F and it took a total of 13 1/2 hours, 12 1/2 for the smoke and 1 hour for the rest.  If you want to pull the pork you must hit 200-205 internal and the foil wrap and rest is equally important.  It was worth the wait!!!

Gunner105

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 10:16:21 AM »
Thank you both for your informative replies!

I'll be doing my seasoning smoke today after work.  I'll have to try pulled pork butt soon.

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 05:12:58 PM »
Congrats, Gunner!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 05:44:08 PM »
These smokers don't need a lot of wood, a little goes a long way.  From my personal experience, I would start with less wood and increase to your preference.  My first smokes had a bit too much wood which made for an unfavourable experience.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

BIG BOB

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 09:20:50 AM »
Gunner....
I just did an 8.5 lb butt and a 7.5 butt at the same time a couple weekends ago. I used about 5 oz of wood and they came out great. I did put the bigger butt on the very bottom shelf of my #2 and it burned on the bottom. It was done in 10ish hours but burned a little...(too close to firebox). The butt on the shelf two notches up was smaller but took 14ish hours to reach the internal temp of 200. Go by the internal temp, have patience through the stall, and wait until you reach 200 I.T. or there abouts and you will be fine. My wife was Very impressed with my butts! LOL

I also made this finishing sauce.... My wife uses it on everything! The recipe calls for less brown sugar, but she likes it a little sweeter so I improvised. You can increase or decrease amounts depending on your taste... - Try it - she loved it!

5+ tablespoons of  brown sugar
1 cup of apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon of Tony's Chachere's cajun seasoning
1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
1 teaspoon of Red Pepper Flakes

* warm the vinegar in a saucepan so the sugar dissolves and then add all ingredients.
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.