Author Topic: Going to cook a beef brisket and burnt ends next weekend....second go around.  (Read 6925 times)

MNGuy1959

• Every Day is a great day for smokin'
Hi Everyone:

Well, I am going to try a whole brisket this next weekend, and I will take pics and post.  I am trying a recipe from Myron Mixon's book 'Smokin', and I will try to document my steps.  I am going to try a beef injection and marinade on Thursday night, and I am going to start smoking in my #2 on Friday evening.  I am also looking at making some burnt ends as well.  I hope it all turns out for a great Sat night of beef bbq!!
Gene from Minnesota
Proud owner of Model #2, Auber, and Jerky dryer

The worst smoking results are still better than being at the office!!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Can't wait to hear the results, MN! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

MNGuy1959

Thanks Tony.   I hope it turns out.  We'll I am going to have fun either way.  I think I am addicted to smoking lol. 
Gene from Minnesota

BIG BOB

Mnguy.... the brisket is my next challenge. let me know how it goes and what you did in prep so I have a clue.... gotta fly to San Fran, but will be back soon- hoping for a full report.

Good Luck.
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

DivotMaker

Mnguy.... the brisket is my next challenge. let me know how it goes and what you did in prep so I have a clue.... gotta fly to San Fran, but will be back soon- hoping for a full report.

Good Luck.

Safe trip, Bob!  Maybe you'll get to try some of that good Cali Q while you're out there!  Tri-tips on oak...mmmm!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

MNGuy1959

Have a good trip. Bob.  yes, Cali can also have some great BBQ.  I am about to post my attempt at a great brisket....stay tuned....
Gene from Minnesota

MNGuy1959

Well, this is a large brisket.  It is a 16 lbs. packer cut, and i will try my best to document my results. 

I started with making 2 quarts of Beef injection/Marinade

I purchased my beef base and beef Aus Jus from www.soupbase.com

I started with 2 quarts of water
I brought water to a boil
Then added 6 tbs (3 TBS per quart) of both beef base and beef Au Jus concentrate. 
I let the beef base and Au Jus concentrate totally dissolve. 

Because I have a model #2, I had to cut the brisket in half.  I halved it at the midway between the flat and point. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 04:13:27 PM by MNGuy1959 »
Gene from Minnesota

MNGuy1959

I did trim the fat cap off of the point, as  wanted the marinade to absorb into the point for my burnt ends.  I trimmed the fat cap on the flat to about 1/4 inch.  I injected both pieces with about 1 inch squares.  I put each piece in a pan and used the rest of the injection solution for marinade. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 04:10:10 PM by MNGuy1959 »
Gene from Minnesota

MNGuy1959

I marinated both pieces in baking pans overnight and put in the refrigerator.  This morning I simply removed each piece from the pan.....dabbed of with paper towel and then added my brisket rub.  I then put them in the smoker with a mixture of hickory and cherry wood...about 7-8 oz.  I also added a can of beer for moisture to my attachment I purchased here at smokin-it. 

Now the wait begins.  I am going to cook these until about 170 IT then I am going to foil until I get to 200 IT.  I hope it all turns out :)
Gene from Minnesota

DivotMaker

Looks like you're off to a great start, MN!  Solid plan - should see some great results!
Tony from NW Arkansas

MNGuy1959

Well, I had mixed results with my brisket.  I went with 205 IT for the point, and it was way overkill.  I also foiled the brisket at 170 and that sped up the cooking, but I think it was not necessary to foil with these types of smokers.  Because the point was a bit dry, the flat was very dry and so we had to add sauce and put in the oven.  Hence the picture attached.  I don't have a picture of the burnt ends, as they were too dry and look terrible. 

Oh well, this was a learning experience and I will try again.  I think the technique I used from Myron Mixon's 'Smokin' book is really designed for a hotter smoker as he cooks at 350 degrees for his brisket.  Next time I am going simple with no foil or pan. 

The brisket in the picture did taste really good with some 'doctoring' that I give my wife credit for.  I hope this helps anyone that wants o do a full packer.  I think it can be done successfully, but next time I am putting the probe in the flat and not the point. 

Hope this helps :) 

My ribs next weekend will be much simpler than what this process contained.  Oh, and finally, I do think the beef injection also helped with the flavor. 
Gene from Minnesota

DivotMaker

Looks like we both had some mixed results this weekend, MN!  BTW, I bet it's hard to find a "Packer" cut up there in Viking country! ;)

You're dead-on about the difference in techniques Mixon uses in the stick burners.  What you will find, with these smokers, is it's just not necessary to go through all the pains of foiling and all that.  I started off the same way, and finally found that no foil is best.  Next time, do your injection (sounds good, btw), rub and let sit in the fridge overnight.  Throw it in the smoker (with a water pan full of beer or apple juice) @ 225 and wait for the internal to hit 195-200.  At that point, double-wrap in foil and let it rest in the cooler for at least an hour.  You will find moist, tender brisket when you unwrap!  I've never had a failure with this simple technique.  Plug and Play, baby!

That's what amazes people about these smokers; how can something so simple produce really good Q??  Try your ribs unwrapped - you'll be glad you did!

One more note - I have to cut mine in half, too, for the #1.  I put the deckle end (point) on the lower shelf, and the flat up top.  This seems to "even out" the cook time for both.  Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 07:38:53 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas