Author Topic: First smoke success!  (Read 2588 times)

netherman

First smoke success!
« on: October 06, 2013, 04:25:35 PM »
Followed Tony's recipe here http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=834.0.  Sauce and rub were great.  May have to back down the cayenne a bit for the wife and kids who don't like too much spice, but wife seemed happy.  Only regret was it could have been a little more moist.  Stalled just under my target temp and sat there a long time.  Pretty much the whole smoke unit was set to 230ish but running 195-225, so I did not turn it down when it hit 110 IT.  Did have apple juice in a tray, and it was mostly gone.  6.5# for both, but went almost 3.5 hours which seemed long compared to other folks.  Using a maverick to monitor temps...double checked the meat with a quick read and seemed accurate.  Other probe I had hanging from the one rack in the middle near one side.  Is that uncommon to run cool?  Not sure how accurate the dial should be.  I am planning a brisket next week so I will have more time to observe next weekend.
Chris in Denver, CO
proud owner of #2

BIG BOB

Re: First smoke success!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 04:44:08 PM »
Chris... my #2 seems to run cool also, I think we just need to do more cooks to get to know the smoker... glad it worked out!
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

es1025

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 06:06:53 PM »
Chris  Nice job.

I use the alligator clip for my temperature probe and also try to put near the meat I am smoking.  If the temperature wire is dangling it may be giving you a wrong reading.

Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

shomesmoke

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 06:13:55 PM »
Chris my #3 runs a little cool also for an average temp in the 225 range I have to set the dial about 1 mark below the 250 mark.
Mark from Missouri
Smokin It #3

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 07:38:46 PM »
Nice job, Chris!  Now that you have the break-in smoke out of the way, you will see results improve with each cook!  Glad you liked the sauce - you're right to adjust the heat for your taste (it's very subjective when you write how much pepper to add). 

I'm a little surprised at the length of cook, and your comment about dryness.  I do loins quite a bit, and they generally take 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 hours.  I've never had one that I would say was too dry.  It may have been your meat?  Odd, for sure.

Can't wait to see results from cook #2 - the brisket!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!