Author Topic: Charcoal and wood mix?  (Read 7111 times)

Bosestyle

Charcoal and wood mix?
« on: April 24, 2015, 08:10:02 AM »
Just got my number 3 last week.  Excited to smoke a pork butt this weekend.  I know you get different flavors when cooking on charcoal etc and got to thinking.  Why not put a few small pieces of charcoal in the wood box with the normal wood chunks?  Has anyone down this or heard of people doing this?

I was planning to give it a try but wanted to bring it up on the forums in case it would burn hot and possibly damage the smoker or the wood box.  Without direct flame to it I didnt think it would flair up, in fact would it even burn to make a difference?  I assume it would generate some smoke from the heat just like the wood does.

Appreciate anyones thoughts and ideas on this!

paidin

Re: Charcoal and wood mix?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 09:12:44 AM »
I did this back when I had a MES40.  It changed the flavor of the smoke.  The chemicals in the kingsford briquettes gave it a hint of weber bbq.  Tasted pretty good.
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!

Bosestyle

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 09:21:45 AM »
Based on your experience would you do it again?  Any problems with flare ups or temps getting to high?

My plan since the model 3 wood box is so big was to put wood on one end and a couple small charcoal chunks on the other end.

paidin

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 09:25:09 AM »
it did not hurt it so I would go for it if I were you.  Let us know what you think and what the best combination is for your particular cook so others can try it.

I have not done it with my #4 because I am relatively new with it and want to master the basics of this smoker first before i start going off to left field with it :)
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 09:46:35 AM »
I have not tried charcoal, but I recall that others on the forum have use charcoal and posted some comments.  You might try searching 'charcoal' from the main forum page and peruse the posts.   If you try it, send along a post with your thoughts.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 10:33:32 AM »
I remember seeing others trying to use some charcoal in hopes of obtaining the elusive smoke ring that you do not normally get in electric smokers. But, I do not recall a lot talked about the flavor impact.

Let us know how it goes if you try it.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

paidin

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 10:37:19 AM »
yes, we MES40 users wanted to achieve the smoke ring but the biggest benefit for me was the flavor.  Their (the Masterbuilt electric smoker people) are used to putting chips in every 30 minutes while the SI people are all about a little bit of wood for a long smoke.  Totally opposite spectrums.  In addition to a smoke ring, the charcoal was supposed to extend the time between adding wood chips.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 07:09:40 PM »
If you are craving charcoal smoke I recommend the all natural chunk. Kingsford has coal, wax and other stuff in it. It is not needed but if it makes you happy do it.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 07:39:22 PM »
I've tried adding some natural chunk charcoal, several times, and could never notice any difference in anything.  Go ahead an try it, but use chunk, not briquettes. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 05:15:51 PM »
If it is what you want to do go for it!!!

I LOVE to add half a kings ford brick to all my long smokes.

Two reasons

1. I have a huge bag leftover that I no longer have a need for.
2. I personally believe it has some more smoke to the pulled pork. I may be wrong, but it's my smoker.  :)
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

RG

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 05:44:54 PM »
I am anxious to hear of your results! Coming from a person who has cooked tons (literally) of pork on Kamados using natural lump charcoal, which is what I assume y'all are referring to as chunks, I do think it does add to the flavor of the product. I have made one butt on my #3 and it WAS very delicious. I brined it and it was very moist to boot. I didn't have a smoke ring as I didn't use any curing salt in the brine but I did notice that it did not taste the same as my usual butts made on my Big Steel Kegs. Not saying it wasn't as good mind you, just different.

Maybe a little lump would change that?? Maybe no difference. It sounds like you've got some homework to do!! Looking forward to hearing how it turns out.

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 05:46:41 PM »
Does Kingsford brown bag competition qualify as one to try mixed with 1 oz regular wood? 
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

RG

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 07:56:05 PM »
Does Kingsford brown bag competition qualify as one to try mixed with 1 oz regular wood?

I guess you could try it. It is not natural lump but rather a traditional briquette though.

bigfoot21075

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 01:33:21 PM »
I put a briquette or two in with my stuff, I like it. No complaints from anyone either. It gives an "authentic" taste to it. I still have a Weber Kettle so i always have charcoal. Not only do I use Kingsford, I still have lighter fluid in my box in case I need to feel like I am back in 1972. It is amazing how scent is really a time machine.
Large Big Green Egg, Natural Gas Weber, Weber Silver Kettle,  Roundboy Wood Fired  Pizza Oven, Smokinit #3

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 01:38:14 PM »
I put a briquette or two in with my stuff, I like it. No complaints from anyone either. It gives an "authentic" taste to it. I still have a Weber Kettle so i always have charcoal. Not only do I use Kingsford, I still have lighter fluid in my box in case I need to feel like I am back in 1972. It is amazing how scent is really a time machine.
bigfoot, I keep holding onto a can of white gas from my camping days when that's what everything ran on.  Now I have no excuse but to be exposed as the pyro that I am.  LOL! 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah