Author Topic: Why start cold meat in a cold smoker?  (Read 7077 times)

Whidbey Rick

Why start cold meat in a cold smoker?
« on: September 05, 2014, 01:02:42 AM »
Hi All!

My new SI #3 is supposed to arrive next Monday!!  I'm looking forward to playing with it ASAP!

I've been reading many many posts on this and other forums and I keep seeing the advise of starting a smoke session with cold meat in a cold smoker. I've noted that some books on smoking recommend preheating the smoker prior to putting the meat in.

Can someone explain the reasoning and difference between the two methods?

Thanks
Rick
Semper Fi!

Whidbey Island WA

SI #3
Big Chief top loader
Weber Kettle Grill

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Why start cold meat in a cold smoker?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 01:49:40 AM »
It is a cheat to get more smoke on the meat. You can put cold meat in a hot smoker but the meat only absorbs the smoke until an internal of 140'ish, after that you are layering deposits on the surface. So having the smoker already up to temp shortens your cook time and the smoke absorbing. You are welcome to experiment.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Whidbey Rick

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 09:43:30 AM »
Thanks Brian!  That helps. I just have to figure out how to adjust cook times for recipes that call for preheating the smoker.

I love experimenting!!

Thanks
Rick
Semper Fi!

Whidbey Island WA

SI #3
Big Chief top loader
Weber Kettle Grill

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 09:57:13 AM »
Other than ribs, you should really be cooking by Internal Temperature. So cook time estimates are just that and estimate.

These smokers heat up pretty fast (thus the reason for cold smoker/cold meat). So, I doubt that your cook times are really going to be affected that much.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Walt

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 10:55:14 AM »
Greg,

Didn't the wood guide you & Tony put out, also have rough cook times included?
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 10:58:35 AM »
Sure did. But like I said they are only estimates. You really need to go by the internal temperature of your meat.

For the OP, I don't think his cooks times should really be affected "that much" by not preheating the smoker because it heats up so quickly.

It would be reasonable to expect that the estimated times that he is used to would go up slightly. But I wouldn't think his previously estimated times would go up by that much.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Walt

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 11:13:11 AM »
I fully agree.  I only mention this for  his planning purposes. IT is the most critical number we use.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

jpittssr

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 11:45:11 AM »
Greg,

Didn't the wood guide you & Tony put out, also have rough cook times included?
Where can I find the wood guide?

Whidbey Rick

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 12:19:05 PM »
Try here:  All Things Smoked! » Recipes » Guide to Smoking Times, Temps, Woods

Rick
Semper Fi!

Whidbey Island WA

SI #3
Big Chief top loader
Weber Kettle Grill

es1025

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 12:58:59 PM »
I agree, ribs are time, everything else is internal temperature. The smoker clearly states on the label not to preheat.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 01:30:17 PM »
Gregg - Fargo, ND

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 08:53:45 PM »
Rick, it only takes about 12 minutes, or so, for the smoke to start rolling, so the cold meat gets a dose quick!  In traditional smokers, a lot of people start out with "room temperature" meat, and a pre-heated smoker.  By keeping the meat cold, you allow it to slowly warm to "room temp" as the smoker heats.  This keeps it in the safe-zone for bacteria.  It doesn't sit in that range for very long, and it's absorbing smoke while it's warming.  This is also why we can get away with such a small amount of wood with these smokers! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Whidbey Rick

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 10:29:10 AM »
This is great info! Thanks everyone for clearing this up. It definitely sounds like I'll be able to use recipes that call for a preheated smoker but using the SI method with minimal adjustments.

This forum is great and I look forward to chatting and learning much more. Can't wait until my SI#3 gets here on Monday.   ;D

Thanks again!
Rick
Semper Fi!

Whidbey Island WA

SI #3
Big Chief top loader
Weber Kettle Grill

gmbrown

• Owner of a #3
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 04:03:09 PM »
I agree, ribs are time, everything else is internal temperature. The smoker clearly states on the label not to preheat.

I also usually do sausage links by time--haven't met one yet that wasn't done in about 2.5 - 3 hrs. Although I will check the IT if there's any doubt. I suppose if I went by IT, there are times they might be done sooner, though, but I've gotten pretty good results.
Geoff from Michigan, exiled to Ohio

gmbrown

• Owner of a #3
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 04:06:33 PM »
This is great info! Thanks everyone for clearing this up. It definitely sounds like I'll be able to use recipes that call for a preheated smoker but using the SI method with minimal adjustments.

For what it's worth, I always entirely ignore any directions calling for a preheated smoker, and don't really make any adjustments. Hasn't been a problem yet. If you don't have a probe thermometer for stuff like butts and briskets, etc., I'd definitely get one.

This forum is great and I look forward to chatting and learning much more. Can't wait until my SI#3 gets here on Monday.   ;D

I'm a relatively new SI3 owner (about 3 months) and this forum has been extremely useful. The advice you find here is unlikely to steer you wrong.  :)
Geoff from Michigan, exiled to Ohio