Author Topic: Internal meat temp.  (Read 4514 times)

tbcop-is-smokin

• Proud Owner of Smokin-it #3
Internal meat temp.
« on: August 31, 2014, 12:37:50 PM »
Hey Folks..
I'm not sure which category I should post this under....
And I'm sure you all already have an answer in the forum somewhere...
Do we have a list in the forum listing all internal temps. on different types of meat?
I would like to print one for my file...
Thanks in advance...
Tony
Good Smokes comes from Happy Trees...
Protect Our Forest...
Vietnam Vet
Tony from Virginia...

jpittssr

Re: Internal meat temp.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 11:19:45 AM »
Hey Folks..
I'm not sure which category I should post this under....
And I'm sure you all already have an answer in the forum somewhere...
Do we have a list in the forum listing all internal temps. on different types of meat?
I would like to print one for my file...
Thanks in advance...
Tony

Hey Tony, are you looking for the recommended safe temp?
They are published in several places on the internet. I used to have a restaurant and I kept a printout near the grill.
Here is a link to USDA. http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/safe-minimum-internal-temperature-chart/ct_index

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 08:15:30 PM »
We don't have a "consolidated" list, but that's something I will work on!  Most posters include their temps in their recipes, so I've always used that.  The list really isn't that long, so I'll try to put something together.  The USDA chart is great for those who really don't want to take any chances, but if you like medium to medium-rare beef, you're going to be disappointed at 145! ???   The other temps in the link look OK, though.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gmbrown

• Owner of a #3
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 04:11:07 PM »
We don't have a "consolidated" list, but that's something I will work on!  Most posters include their temps in their recipes, so I've always used that.  The list really isn't that long, so I'll try to put something together.  The USDA chart is great for those who really don't want to take any chances, but if you like medium to medium-rare beef, you're going to be disappointed at 145! ???   The other temps in the link look OK, though.

Also, it depends a lot on what you're cooking and how. Anything you're cooking in a smoker is likely to have a lot of connective tissue that needs to be broken down for the meat to be tender, meaning you'll have to cook it to much higher internal temps than you would, say, a steak. Most of us cook briskets in the smoker to an internal temp in the 190s and it comes out perfect. But if you grill, say, a steak to 190, you'll have a lump of charcoal.
Geoff from Michigan, exiled to Ohio

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 10:06:42 PM »
Also, it depends a lot on what you're cooking and how. Anything you're cooking in a smoker is likely to have a lot of connective tissue that needs to be broken down for the meat to be tender, meaning you'll have to cook it to much higher internal temps than you would, say, a steak. Most of us cook briskets in the smoker to an internal temp in the 190s and it comes out perfect. But if you grill, say, a steak to 190, you'll have a lump of charcoal.

Great comments, Geoff.  We actually have put together a guide now.  If you haven't seen it, you can find it here:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2151.0
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

gmbrown

• Owner of a #3
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 02:45:53 PM »

We actually have put together a guide now.  If you haven't seen it, you can find it here:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2151.0

Hey, that's pretty handy! Thanks for the link!
Geoff from Michigan, exiled to Ohio

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 08:54:30 PM »
You're welcome, Geoff!  It will be a "work in progress," so be sure to PM me an additions or suggestions!
Tony from NW Arkansas

es1025

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 07:49:12 PM »
 DM
 I would put the usda temps for non beef products. We all have diiferent temps for beef.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 09:29:00 PM »
I'll look at that, Ed.  Thanks!
Tony from NW Arkansas