Author Topic: Another weekend, another #3 adventure.  (Read 7008 times)

gmbrown

• Owner of a #3
Another weekend, another #3 adventure.
« on: August 04, 2014, 02:35:48 PM »
This weekend's attempt at smoking goodness was a whole chicken and a pan of mac and cheese. I figured that both would take about the same amount of time, and both, of course, would fit in, so I gave it a shot.

The chicken was a "minimally processed" Amish chicken from the local grocery store, just shy of 4 and 3/4 pounds (from Hiller's for those of you in Detroit. I swear I have no ties to them, but for good meat, it is hard to beat them. Next best thing to a butcher shop, which sadly, I don't have nearby). I know a lot of people spatchcock them, but I just left it intact. I did a quick (around 3.5 hours) brine in a very simple salt/sugar solution, and cut back on both a bit because the rub I was going to use had a lot of salt already (a store-bought chili lime rub my in-laws sent me). I got that all over the skin, and under it, put my probe thermometer in the breast, stuffed some fresh rosemary and thyme I had growing on the kitchen windowsill into the inside, and was ready to go.

The mac and cheese was adapted from this recipe at Smokin-Meat.com. The biggest changes I made were using milk instead of half and half (my wife is one of those people whose cholesterol runs high despite medication, diet, or exercise), instead of the Smokin-Meat guy's rub, I used Meathead's Memphis Dust (that stuff really *is* good on everything), and I left out the bacon (there were comments that the smoke flavor in bacon combined with the smoking process to make an oversmoked flavor).

I put both in at the same time, and fired up the #3 to 250. Usually I do 225 for almost everything, but I'd read that people tend to do chickens at higher temps. I used 4 ounces of applewood chips (we bought the chip screen with the #3). It took just about exactly 3 hours for the chicken to hit 165, which is also about the length of time the mac and cheese was supposed to smoke. The chicken went into a double-foil wrap for about 20 minutes. Then the chicken got dissected and eaten along with the mac and cheese (and some salad, to redeem ourselves with some green veggies). The chicken was done perfectly--even the breast was nice and tender. The skin, as many report, was a bit rubbery. Apparently, you either have to smoke it at an even higher temp to get it crispy (beyond the range of my #3) or you can try to crisp it on the grill, which seemed like too much effort and too fraught with peril for the first time out. The mac and cheese was also excellent. I've never had the original recipe, but I don't think my changes hurt anything.

And, of course, I got pictures, having learned the error of my ways from the first post.  :D

I've seen that people will often take the skins and make "cracklins" by putting them in the oven at 375 for 45 minutes or so, and I was going to try that, but I just ran out of steam after that, the laundry, and chasing the three-year-old around.  :) But I have a feeling that this won't be the last chicken taking a ride in the #3, either.
Geoff from Michigan, exiled to Ohio

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Another weekend, another #3 adventure.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 03:03:19 PM »
Fantastic looking bird. Looks like a fine meal.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 03:16:00 PM »
I have made Mac and Cheese before too and it turned out awesome.

Looks like a great meal!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 05:30:03 PM »
Looks like another great meal. I have to try that Mac and cheese that everyone is talking about.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

es1025

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 07:35:07 PM »
Nice coloring on the bird. What type of binder did you use? My guess is oil.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 07:38:54 PM »
Looks fantastic, Geoff!  Thanks for the pics!! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

tbcop-is-smokin

• Proud Owner of Smokin-it #3
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 10:06:22 PM »
A big ole chicken is on my list...Yours looks very awesome. Have you ever use anything other than the chili lime rub . I'm looking for a great rub for chicken. The goal here is to win my wife over on this smokin thing...She loves chicken. So I've got to impress her.
Tony
Good Smokes comes from Happy Trees...
Protect Our Forest...
Vietnam Vet
Tony from Virginia...

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 10:26:13 PM »
A big ole chicken is on my list...Yours looks very awesome. Have you ever use anything other than the chili lime rub . I'm looking for a great rub for chicken. The goal here is to win my wife over on this smokin thing...She loves chicken. So I've got to impress her.
Tony

Tony, this is my favorite way to do a whole chicken:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1054.msg4434#msg4434

Two changes, though:  I usually now use cherry for chicken, and I've gone to Famous Dave's Roast Chicken Rub.  Other than that, I brine and stuff with mire poix (onion, celery and carrots).  Makes a tasty bird!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

tbcop-is-smokin

• Proud Owner of Smokin-it #3
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 11:07:09 PM »
Where can I find the Famous Dave's Chicken Rub??
Tony
Good Smokes comes from Happy Trees...
Protect Our Forest...
Vietnam Vet
Tony from Virginia...

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 11:31:41 PM »
Occasionally at Menard's I have never seen it anywhere else.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

jdiver

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 05:49:22 AM »
Looks wonderful.

How much and what kind of wood did you use. The chicken looks nicely smoked.
-JD-
Big Green Egg and SI2
Love Pork

gmbrown

• Owner of a #3
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 10:42:57 AM »
Tony

This was my first chicken, so no. With everything else, I have used Meathead's Memphis Dust, the recipe for which I linked above. If you put a gun to my head and said I could only ever use one rub ever again, I'd be okay with that if it was Memphis Dust. The Chili Lime rub was one of three store-bought ones my in-laws sent me as a gift, so I figured I'd try it out on the chicken. There's also a "steakhouse" one that might work well on a brisket some day when I get around to trying that.

gmbrown

• Owner of a #3
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 10:50:34 AM »
Nice coloring on the bird. What type of binder did you use? My guess is oil.

Yeah, extra-virgin olive oil. Yellow mustard has been my go-to for pork so far, but that didn't seem like it would work here.

gmbrown

• Owner of a #3
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 10:55:43 AM »
Looks wonderful.

How much and what kind of wood did you use. The chicken looks nicely smoked.

4 ounces of apple wood. Both the chicken and the mac and cheese came out with a nice amount of smoke flavor.

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2014, 07:40:07 PM »
Where can I find the Famous Dave's Chicken Rub??
Tony

I can't find it locally, so I order from Amazon.  Great deal on 6 bottles.  I have Prime, so I think it's about $21 for 6, with free 2-day shipping!  I order Rib Rub like that, too.
Tony from NW Arkansas