Author Topic: T-minus 4 hours  (Read 7322 times)

restorick2378

T-minus 4 hours
« on: July 26, 2014, 09:27:55 PM »
Got my #3 on Tuesday.  All of the goodies were neatly tucked inside and I put her all together, and gave her a break in smoke.  Nice layer of hickory tar all over the insides - love that smell!

On Thursday, I started tearing into the #3.  The permanent probe for the Auber arrived and I wanted to do the cord mods as well.  I needed some parts (nylon spacer, new stress relief bushing, etc.), so I held off to today to finish the mods.

Shes in the process of auto-tuning, and in 4 short hours I start my maiden voyage.  I've been brining a pork shoulder since noon and will start it up shortly after midnight.  By my calculations, it should be ready sometime around 3-4pm tomorrow.

Stay tuned for updates and pics!
Rick
Rick from Wisconsin
#3 with Auber PID - Lazy-Q heaven on earth!

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
Re: T-minus 4 hours
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 09:36:45 PM »
Hey Rick, I'm looking forward to hearing about what rub you used, your set temperature and the Internal temperature you are aiming for and type/amount of wood used. Be sure to post some before and after pics.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

restorick2378

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 08:49:52 AM »
I brined the meat for approx 15 hours.  Using a rub I received as a Christmas gift, made up of salt, pepper, sugar, turmeric, orange peel and coriander.

Set the Auber as follows:

C01          135          45min
C02          225          170F (slicing today, not pulling)
C03          140          99.9 min (hold)
C04          140          99.9 min (hold, if needed)

6lb shoulder, using 2 chunks of hickory.  Small water pan with about 8oz of water.  Next time (when I have more time), I'll go for pulled and add in some apple wood to the hickory chunks.

Pics coming soon...
Rick
Rick from Wisconsin

mnsmoker

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 09:18:40 AM »
Your going to love that #3 especially with the mods you did, the Auber with fixed probe turns this smoker into a true top of the line digital performer!!
Jim from Minnesota

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 01:26:48 PM »
Hey Rick, that sounds like a great plan for your first smoke. It looks like your off to a great start. I also have the #3 (without the Auber), but plan on ordering one with the fixed probe in the near future. Looking forward to your pics and feedback about your results.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

restorick2378

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 09:52:23 PM »
Ok...  Here goes with the pics.

I wasn't able to let the shoulder rest very long once it hit 170.  It was already in the smoker for 11 hours, and my guests were hungry.

Served it with some nice Yukon Gold taters, sliced and mixed with carrot slices, drizzled with olive oil and broiled to a nice crisp outside and soft hot insides.  Perfect compliment.  Not to mention the wine our neighbors brought over.

My 10 year old goddaughter is very picky about what she eats.  She was intrigued by the shoulder because "it smelled like bacon and ham".   :D  She had 3 good sized chunks of the shoulder, and her older sister had 4.  Out of a 6.5lb shoulder, we had perhaps 1.5lbs left.  It was a hit!

First pic is the before
Second if after smoking
Third is while carving
Fourth is the aftermath

I love my new smoker!
Rick

« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 10:01:19 PM by restorick2378 »
Rick from Wisconsin

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 10:50:23 PM »
Looks good!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 10:51:21 PM »
Wow, that looks great. Is that a pink smoke ring I see in the 3rd pic?
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

restorick2378

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 06:47:38 AM »

Indeed!  Only used 2 chunks of hickory, and based on my casual observation, the smoking phase only lasted 3-4 hours. Quite tasty!
Rick from Wisconsin

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 07:37:49 PM »

Must have cheated a bit, like I do, with a little pink salt in the brine! ;)   Only way you'll get a smoke ring that prominent in an electric!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

restorick2378

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 10:20:03 PM »

Must have cheated a bit, like I do, with a little pink salt in the brine! ;)   Only way you'll get a smoke ring that prominent in an electric!

LOL...  I did use some, per a post I saw here.  Never tried it before, but I will use it from now on!  Local butcher had it in stock at a reasonable price, and he threw in about 20 yards of butcher string too.

Brother comes into town Saturday.  Need to plan something special for Sunday dinner!

Rick
Rick from Wisconsin

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 10:29:28 PM »
Hehe...knew it!  It makes the prettiest "faux" smoke ring, and has the same effect - looks!  Funny how some (like Meathead at amazingribs.com) get caught up in that little pink ring, but I guess I do, too, on some level.  It sure looks good when it's sliced! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 01:24:59 AM »
Thanks for the post, it definately was a successful smoke. Serving that sliced meat must have been quite the presentation and must have tasted great.

Although I have heard many people complaint that pork is not good for you, but personally it is one off my favourite tasting meats.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

es1025

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 07:29:08 AM »
Rick
Nice work. Looks great. I am a big fan of pork. Ribs, butt, bacon.....

I am jealous on vacation with no smoker, lots of seafood. Getting me to think what i could do with shrimp or scallops.

At least saturday will be rib day.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

restorick2378

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 08:11:05 AM »
Hehe...knew it!  It makes the prettiest "faux" smoke ring, and has the same effect - looks!  Funny how some (like Meathead at amazingribs.com) get caught up in that little pink ring, but I guess I do, too, on some level.  It sure looks good when it's sliced! ;)

It sure does!  I didn't know that pink salt in the brine would do that, but now that I'm equipped with that nugget of knowledge, I'll be sure to use it in every brine solution!   8)
Rick from Wisconsin