Author Topic: OK, I joined the "club", and now my first question  (Read 7421 times)

TJ

OK, I joined the "club", and now my first question
« on: July 07, 2014, 06:04:03 PM »
Just placed my order for the #3. Appreciate all the input and am sure I will have a ton of questions down the road.

First question, where is the best place to gather a nice supply of wood chunks? And what size chunks should I look for? How long does a box full of chunks typically burn for (on average) at approximately 200-225F?
Crossville Tennessee

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: OK, I joined the "club", and now my first question
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 06:17:16 PM »
Welcome TJ!

There are several posts on this in the "What type of Tree do you use?" section:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?board=6.0

But Maine Grilling Woods and Fruitawood are the most popular that I have seen other than the wood that you can get directly from Smokin-It. I pretty much have primarily used their Hickory and Cherry that I bought when I bought the smoker.

These smokers use so little wood, that I haven't had to buy any other wood yet.

When I do, I will probably get some from one of the two companies I listed above. I think I would like to try some of the fruit tree woods.

But as a staple, I don't know that I will ever not have some Hickory and Cherry on hand.

Good luck with your new smoker. Personally, I think you made a great choice with the #3, but I may be a bit biased. ;)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

es1025

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 06:40:18 PM »
TJ

Welcome aboard.

I have ordered from fruitawood real good product.

Typically, I use 2-2.5 oz for ribs, 5-6 oz for pork butt, and 3-4 oz for brisket.

You don't need much wood for a great smoke.  I meat only takes smoke until 140 IT.

I have had my #3 for over a year, no issues, I have one question, Steve got back to me within the hour.

Enjoy!
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 07:04:08 PM »
I always cut my wood into 1, 2, and 3 ounce pieces.  I actually weigh each chunk and and divide to roughly those weights. Under smoked can be doctored with sauces and such.  Over smoked gets buried if the dog won't eat it. Been there once, with a butt, never again.  We Bacon's don' like our butts bitter.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 10:00:55 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 07:20:41 PM »
Welcome to the party, TJ!  That's my son's name, so I like you already! 8)

Congrats on the #3!  You'll get a bag of hickory "dowels" with the smoker.  It's enough to get a bunch of smokes out of, since we deal in just a few ounces per smoke.  You'll be amazed at how little these units use. 

For different varieties, I rely on Fruitawood and Maine Grilling Woods.  Both have really good-quality wood, dried just right.  Also, both have some really cool varieties, so you can let your creative juices roll!  Not sure what your smoking background is, but the type of tree you use makes a big difference in the final taste.

One more thing - if you don't have a little digital scale, you might think of getting one.  Weighing the wood is the only way to go for consistency.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 08:37:12 PM »
To me part of the appeal to getting an SI is the ability to use different wood types and shapes and not being limited too pucks or chips. One of the great benefits to an SI smoker is the ability to smoke any type of wood in it.

Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

WeekendWarrior

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 08:57:03 PM »
I am kind of lucky since I live 2 blocks from hawgeyesbbq.  They have lots of supplies including wood.

I also can get fruit wood pruning from some local orchards.

Sometimes you can get broken wine barrels from wineries.

Bruce - Iowa
#2 Owner
Iowa National Guard - Retired
Computer Geek

TJ

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 08:58:19 PM »
My previous smoker was a tall single wall propane fired unit and I had a heck of a time keeping the fire going and trying to keep the temperature under 250 all at the same time. The final straw that broke the camels back came last week when I was trying to smoke a brisket for my wife to take to our son and I had to sit beside the smoker and monitor it constantly. NEVER AGAIN.

Already learning here as I had no idea you could "over smoke" a nice piece of meat. After I get it unpacked and seasoned will try a rack of ribs and be back asking for hints and will read what I can in the mean time. I also plan on making a table to set the smoker on as I like working with wood plus it will save me some $$.

Its all about the meat:)
Crossville Tennessee

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 12:03:03 AM »
Hey TJ, welcome to the SI club. I also have the #3 and it is an amazing smoker. You will not be disappointed with your purchase.  In terms of wood, I have purchased wood chips and chunks from Lowe's and they have produced some great smokes. They even sell the chunks of wood cut up from whiskey or wine barrels.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

mnsmoker

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 07:49:46 AM »
Hey TJ welcome I had to laugh at your last post I had the same propane smoker, on my last smoke with it I got so frustrated I bent my large cookie sheet in half, the thing would not keep a decent temp, way to hot, open the vent,way to cool, then it got windy blew out the flame...enough, I marched in the house bent cookie sheet in hand and ordered my #2, best decision I have made in a long time, get ready for some lazy Q the way it should be!!!
Jim from Minnesota

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 07:34:19 PM »
Life is about to get sooo much easier for TJ!   8)   No more bent cookie sheets in his future!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

TJ

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 12:43:38 PM »
Unpacked the smoker and all looks well. Are there any areas sort of out of sight that I need to check closely to make sure the packaging material is removed?
Crossville Tennessee

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 01:14:46 PM »
Be sure to make sure the temp sensor inside doesn't have any packing material. 
Tony from NW Arkansas

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 02:09:12 PM »
I would also wipe it down inside to remove any residue left over from manufacturing that may be present. Doubtful there is any but it never hurts to check.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 02:29:17 PM »
You've probably already read it here, TJ, but you don't need to leave the shelves in, or put in foil inside, for seasoning.  Just 3-4 hickory dowels, set at 250 and let 'er go for 4 hours.  Don't bother checking any internal temps, either - nothing but an exercise in frustration!  With the smoker empty, temps will be all over the place.  Just season it, let it cool all the way down, and smoke something! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas