Author Topic: My first whole chicken - beer can  (Read 2246 times)

Akalli

My first whole chicken - beer can
« on: June 17, 2018, 09:02:29 PM »
I'm new to smoking and we got a #1. It's just the 2 of us. Enjoying learning how to get good results. I've done a few pork shoulders and I'm getting really close to getting it just right. Tonight I smoked a whole chicken and it was WONDERFUL! It was small, not even 4 pounds and it took about 2.5 hours on 250 to 161 IT, then pulled it out and tented for over an hour. I used a beer can stand with a 1/2 can of beer that I put some chopped up apple, onions, garlic, and apple cider vinegar. Not sure it affected the flavor but the chicken was as moist as I've ever eaten. The skin was horrible, even bitter, but we don't eat the skin anyway. What it did do was add tons of flavor and moisture to the meat. At least that's what I think. I used alder wood, and it was so darn good! I can't wait to make my next chicken, and it will be a bigger one. I didn't brine it, but I did put a rub on it that I made. What a great first experience with chicken, as we love chicken! This might be a weekly ritual at our house. Thanks for opening up my world.

Andrea
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 09:26:41 PM by Akalli »

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: My first whole chicken - beer can
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 09:27:16 PM »
Welcome to the forum Andrea from SE Arizona. You are in the right place for learning and smoking and sharing. When you get time, stop by the intro section and introduce yourself so others can say howdy.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

TX Gent

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 08:43:32 AM »
Well done Andrea and welcome to the forum. Many appreciate newbies posting early results and getting involved. Think of the skin as only the part which holds most of the juices in for flavor. Your right ...chunk that skin and enjoy the meat after the smoke.

Congrats on your chicken. I too like to add garden herbs/apple/orange/onion slices along with a garlic clove to my water boat. Half filled with water over a two or three hour "bird" smoke the fruits will caramelize and add great background taste to the finished bird.
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

Akalli

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 02:41:27 PM »
Oh, and I forgot to mention, since I wasn't sure how long this would take, and we wanted to go to lunch, I figured we had at least 2 hours before it was done. So what we did was put one of our wifi cameras in front of the ThermoPro probe remote receiver so we could keep an eye on the rising IT from my phone while we were having lunch at a restaurant about a mile away. Wasn't sure it would work, but it did! Hat tip to my hubby for even thinking of it. Love him!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 02:43:55 PM by Akalli »

TX Gent

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 05:37:37 PM »
Great idea ... I need to try that too when running errands or out riding the beemer
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek