Author Topic: Model 2D/3D Upgrade Kits  (Read 23926 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Model 2D/3D Upgrade Kits
« on: December 29, 2015, 08:43:22 PM »
Great News!  Steve has 7 kits available to ship!  There are only 7 now, because that's all the face plates he has on hand now (but more are on the way).  He is offering these exclusively to forum members, and the prices below!  Once they hit the website, the price may increase. 

I've attached the installation instructions, so you can see what you're getting into.  The project is not difficult, if you have some moderate mechanical skills, but it's not a couple of screws, then plug-and-play. 

Note also, that some of the older #2's have the top vent hole (or blow hole, as I call it) in a different location.  To make sure the new flat top will fit your smoker, check these measurements:

#2   From the front of the top, measure to the front of the hole opening (next to the pipe that is threaded in the hole).  The new top is 10 7/8" from the front.
#3   This hole is 16 1/8" from the front.

I installed the kit on the original digital prototype #2, which had the old top.  That's why you see the red top in the instructions.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Call, email or text Steve to order yours today!

If you notice in the pictures, this kit includes the controller, flat top, permanent probe, food probe, and remote SSR/heat sink.  There has to be a rectangular hole cut in the bottom rear of the smoker, so this is not a "drop-in" kit!  Please be aware of that before ordering!  Shouldn't be a big deal for many, but I wouldn't recommend going this route unless you are handy with tools, or have a buddy who is.

2D Kit:  $265 + shipping
3D Kit:  $275 + shipping

These will sell on a "first come, first serve" basis!  Call Steve and order yours today. 

**These are NOT being offered on the website!  This is currently ONLY for his loyal owners, through the forum only!!" 
How cool is that "insider" deal?? :D

(**Pic 3 shows a controller without the faceplate.  These kits have it on**)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 07:36:04 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

kz0m

• Carl
Re: Model 2D/3D Upgrade Kits
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 09:19:03 PM »
Looks like a very nice kit!
Carl-D/FW area of Texas.  Model #3D on top of Sears Craftsman tool cart.

DivotMaker

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 09:56:07 PM »
With a little elbow grease, you can convert a 2 or 3 into a 2D or 3D!  Same parts, and not much more than a standalone Auber!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Eleets2144

• Model #2
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 11:56:02 AM »
Any word on pricing yet?  Really tempted...
Chris from Chicago

va_rider

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 01:07:49 PM »
got some more detail on this hole that would need to be cut? or general install instructions?
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

khoelscher1

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 01:13:06 PM »
Any word on pricing yet?  Really tempted...

I talked to Steve this morning. It sounds like pricing for the 2 upgrade is going to be $275. I think he said he had around 4 kits available but would have more after the first of the year. He has not had time to even make up the instructions for the install yet
Keith
Columbus, OH

khoelscher1

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 01:20:08 PM »
got some more detail on this hole that would need to be cut? or general install instructions?
Steve said this morning that he does not of install instructions made up yet. He thought he would have them sometime after the new year. I don't have any details on the hole, but Steve did mention that if you could probably remove one of the panels (not sure which one) and bring it to a local shop to have the hole made. I think he said you would also have to drill 4 holes to mount the heat sink
Keith
Columbus, OH

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 10:36:48 PM »
Sorry guys - had some computer issues when I posted this, and didn't get the pricing in there.  Original post is modified.  I will probably install one of these on my original prototype digital #2 so I can write detailed instructions.  Hope to have that after the first of the year! 
Tony from NW Arkansas

cogGrease

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 10:13:50 AM »
Tony, isn't picture three the bottom of the controller that sits on top of the SI? Looking at the wire routing and the holes to fasten it down. No big deal, just clarifying.   
Bill in OHIO
#3 bypassed & Aubered
24" fire pit grill
Barrel grill/smoker

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 10:39:00 AM »
It does look fairly easy if that's the case.

Just curious, on the 3D model, where do you actually plug in the meat sensor?  Does it still have to go through the smoke hole in the top of the cabinet?
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

kz0m

• Carl
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 11:37:06 AM »
Meat sensor plugs into the side of the controller, down through the smoke hole and into the meat.
Carl-D/FW area of Texas.  Model #3D on top of Sears Craftsman tool cart.

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 06:51:27 PM »
Tony, isn't picture three the bottom of the controller that sits on top of the SI? Looking at the wire routing and the holes to fasten it down. No big deal, just clarifying.

Yes, Bill, that's the bottom of the top controller.  The bottom pic is the SSR that's mounted on the bottom of the smoker.
Tony from NW Arkansas

RG

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 09:43:05 PM »
I am tempted to get one for my #3. Must......resist.....impulse......buy!!  Lol
Jason from Conyers GA

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2016, 09:58:17 PM »
I am tempted to get one for my #3. Must......resist.....impulse......buy!!  Lol

Luke Jason, come over to the dark bark side!  Resistance is futile!  Assimilate!  (OK, so it mixed Star Wars and Star Trek...sue me;).
Tony from NW Arkansas

RG

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2016, 09:30:10 AM »
Hahaha! I like both franchises so you're good ;)

I am thinking about it seriously. I don't need it, I just want it, lol. I also want a cart for it so that would be a pricey endeavor for sure.
Jason from Conyers GA