Author Topic: Warning: pork shoulder took 14 hours!  (Read 1694 times)

will615

Warning: pork shoulder took 14 hours!
« on: November 20, 2019, 10:02:27 PM »
Everything I've read says smoking pork butts takes 1-2 hours/pound. I have never experienced that kind of range until last weekend. The final cooking time for butts has always been within an hour of 1 hour/lb. Last weekend, mild day, smoker at 225 deg, my  7 lb butt took 14 hours to hit 195 deg.  I didn't try to rush it and it may have been one of the best. Luckily, we didn't have company waiting for dinner! Give yourself plenty of cushion if you have time constraints!
Will, Nashville, TN
SI #1, Weber Smoky Mtn., Kilwell Fish Smoker, and an old New Braunfels offset smoker that makes great ribs regardless of the bad reviews!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Warning: pork shoulder took 14 hours!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 09:05:25 PM »
That can happen. It has been my experience that the probe could have been in a layer of fat that when melted left an air gap. I always keep an instant read thermometer handy for those few times when I believed the butt/brisket should have finished.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Grampy

Re: Warning: pork shoulder took 14 hours!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 09:23:42 AM »
Not uncommon at all. I always figure on 2 hours per lb when I am estimating time. If it finishes early, drop the smoker down to 140 degrees (food safe temp) double wrap in foil and hold til ready to eat. You can also double wrap in foil and place in a cooler with towels packed on top of it until you are ready to eat. I have held butts this way for as long as 7 hours and the meat was still to hot to pull with your bare hands. Personally I believe the rest is the most important step with a pork butt. Always turns out so moist and tender.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!