Author Topic: Breakfast Fatty  (Read 4594 times)

Grampy

Breakfast Fatty
« on: February 12, 2017, 08:09:19 PM »
Today I made my first breakfast fatty! I started off with 1-1/5 lbs of thick cut bacon and made a bacon weave. Then I rolled a pound of Tennessee Pride Hot breakfast sausage inside a gallon zip lock bag with the corners cut off to allow air to escape and rolled it out flat. Then I put down a layer of cheese, mushrooms, jalapenos and scrambled eggs. I hit it with a dusting of my homemade rub and rolled up the sausage fatty and then wrapped in the bacon weave. Put it in my SI#2 at 225 degrees for about 3 hours with 2 ounces of hickory until it hit an IT of 165. Stuck it under the broiler for 5 minutes to crisp up the bacon. This turned out great! My wife loved it.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Breakfast Fatty
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 10:04:35 AM »
Looks awesome!

This is still on my haven't tried yet, but want to list.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

tmb

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 10:47:34 AM »
OH yes!!   I love to make them when Kimmie and I go camping   

Nice job!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 03:35:52 PM by tmb »

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 10:49:31 AM »
Nicely done Jimmy! I love fatties.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Airchair

• Court
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 10:58:43 AM »
That fatty looks amazing Jimmy. The sky is the limit with these smokers. Thanks for the step by step....putting it on the list.

Court
Court
Phoenix, AZ
SI 3D, Weber Genesis, Weber Kettle Grill

ibbones

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 11:05:06 AM »
Yummers...
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

EFGM

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 11:15:48 AM »
That looks awesome! How do you handle the leftovers, or is there ever any leftovers?
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

Grampy

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 03:31:14 PM »
That looks awesome! How do you handle the leftovers, or is there ever any leftovers?
I've never had that problem before. It usually all gets eaten.
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 03:58:33 PM »

I go camping (well to the season camper site) pretty much every weekend in the summer and would like to try this there. Do you make your fatties ahead of time? Or do you make them there? I like to do as much of my meal prep at home and then just have to cook out at the camper. I wonder how this would work?
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Grampy

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 07:29:49 PM »

I go camping (well to the season camper site) pretty much every weekend in the summer and would like to try this there. Do you make your fatties ahead of time? Or do you make them there? I like to do as much of my meal prep at home and then just have to cook out at the camper. I wonder how this would work?

Gregg, I don't see a problem with making ahead of time and then cooking at the camp site. I always make mine the morning I plan on cooking it and wrap it in plastic warp and put in back in the refrigerator until I am ready to cook it later in the day. The extra time in the refrigerator/cooler actually helps the fatty to firm up and hold together better. So it should work out great.
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 08:51:55 PM »

Gregg, I don't see a problem with making ahead of time and then cooking at the camp site. I always make mine the morning I plan on cooking it and wrap it in plastic warp and put in back in the refrigerator until I am ready to cook it later in the day. The extra time in the refrigerator/cooler actually helps the fatty to firm up and hold together better. So it should work out great.

I have to try this this camping season. I'm not sure if I'll haul the #3 out for this or not. It might get done on the side boxed stick burner that I have out at the lake place. Eventually, I'm going to have to get another SI for the lake. Dang ;)
Gregg - Fargo, ND

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 07:19:24 PM »
Gregg, I'm willing to bet that smoked at home, sliced and fried in a skillet at the lake to put a little crust on it would be easy and equally fantastic.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 10:27:25 PM »
Nice looking fatty, Jimmy!  I've still yet to try one... :(
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!