Author Topic: Fatty Experiment!  (Read 2653 times)

Grampy

Fatty Experiment!
« on: May 28, 2016, 08:58:21 PM »
After seeing all of the fatty posts on here I decided I needed to give one a try. So today I started off with 1-1/5 lbs of thick cut bacon and made a bacon weave. Then I rolled a pound of Tennessee Pride Hot breakfast sausage inside a gallon zip lock bag with the corners cut off to allow air to escape. Since this was my first attempt at a fatty I decided to keep it fairly simple and stuffed the fatty with cream cheese, chopped mushrooms and jalapeno's. I hit it with a dusting of my homemade rub and rolled up the sausage fatty and then wrapped in the bacon weave. Put it in my SI#2 at 225 degrees for 3 hours and 15 minutes with 2 ounces of hickory until it an IT of 165. Stuck it under the broiler for 5 minutes to crisp up the bacon.

I was a little intimidated by the bacon weave and rolling up the stuffed sausage but it turned out to be really easy. Watch a few online tutorials on how to do it and you will do fine.

My fatty turned out awesome! I will definitely be doing more of these in the future. My wife wants me to do a hash brown, cheese and scrambled eggs for the next one. The cream cheese made the last picture a little messy but it tasted great!
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Fatty Experiment!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 09:45:19 PM »
Nice, Jimmy!  I still have yet to do one of these, too.  Not sure why, but just haven't yet.  I think the hash brown/egg/cheese idea is great!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Durangosmoker

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 02:58:38 PM »
They are surprisingly easy to make, aren't they?  Well done.  And I am inspired by your cream cheese filling... I'll have to try that sometime. Nice job.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 03:08:13 PM »
Well done Jimmy! You'll love the hash browns and egg version.  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Nimrod

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 01:27:04 PM »
That looks pretty larrapin Grampy :)

Yet another reason I need to try one.  Let us know if you try the hash brown n egg version.
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2
Weber Genesis and one shop built offset (certified) sanctuary for red wasps

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 05:50:48 PM »
Hey Dave, I did on recently. Take a look at "breakfast for supper" in the pork section.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Nimrod

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 07:46:33 PM »
Thanks for the redirect Bob, the pics of the process are great :)

I'm thinking of a (sort of) huevos rancheros blend and doing one with everything but the egg, make the slices and then laying a big sunny side up hen bullet right on top of the sliced fatty?  I'll keep you posted when I get one built.
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2
Weber Genesis and one shop built offset (certified) sanctuary for red wasps

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 02:02:34 PM »
Good idea Dave. Maybe the layers are: bacon, sausage, corn tortillas, cheese, chilies.  Yum.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN