Author Topic: Baby Backs with Temp Tracking  (Read 1428 times)

AirCav

Baby Backs with Temp Tracking
« on: May 31, 2016, 11:43:00 AM »
I did two smokes over the Memorial Day Weekend. One to have guests at our house on Sunday and one to take to a Party on Memorial Day. Since these were the 4th and 5th smokes on my new 3D and I had some temp variations when I did a pork butt so I wanted tomeasure the temps and see how accurate the Smokin-It temp was. I put a Thermapen probe in at about the same height of the Smokin-It probe. You can see it in one of the pictures.

Both smokes were baby back ribs, Sunday 5 racks, Memorial Day 4 racks. All settings were 235 for 5 hours, 3 oz of Apple wood each day. About 8 oz of beer in a mini loaf pan each day

I put a dry rub on each set of ribs the night before (5 racks on Saturday night and 4 racks on Sunday night) wrapped them in plastic wrap and refrigerated them for ~12 hours. I removed the ribs about 1 1/2 hours before smoking, peeled off the plastic wrap and let them warm to close to room temperature.

The attached files show the temperatures for both smokes, where I placed the Thermapen Temperature probe and then the ribs with rub and finished after about 5 hours of smoking.

Lessons

Very consistent temp
Smoke starts to be visible in about 10 minutes
It takes about an hour to an hour and a quarter for the box temp to hit the setting of 235
I think I could have pulled the ribs at 4 and 3/4 hours
Ambient temp were consistent both days but since I started one at 10AM it was a bit cooler in the box on Memorial Day
Mike from Michigan

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Baby Backs with Temp Tracking
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 08:15:02 PM »
Ribs look great, Mike!  One tip - when you unwrap the ribs before smoking, don't let them warm to room temp...that's actually not necessary.  You get best results starting with cold meat in a cold smoker.  Cold meat absorbs smoke the best, and it will warm to "room temp" in the time it takes the smoker to heat enough to make smoke.  This also keeps it out of the "danger zone" (40-140°) longer.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!