Author Topic: leftover cherry from previous smoke  (Read 4985 times)

SmokinSusie-Q

leftover cherry from previous smoke
« on: July 06, 2016, 05:23:40 PM »
I used cherry wood to smoke a steak.  Steak was cooked to rare as planned but smoke flavor was too mild.  The cherry piece was  slightly charred but still in one piece.  Can I reuse it or will it be too dry?  I'm thinking about using it to smoke e chicken breasts.
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: leftover cherry from previous smoke
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 10:08:18 PM »
Don't re-use leftover wood, Sue.  It's dry, and won't produce much smoke.  We use so little, you don't have to be that thrifty!  Use the new chunks. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Grampy

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 07:47:22 AM »
Don't re-use leftover wood, Sue.  It's dry, and won't produce much smoke.  We use so little, you don't have to be that thrifty!  Use the new chunks. ;)
+1! Throw it out.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 11:28:08 AM »

You're right.  I was just hoping to save this piece but I have plenty more.  My company is requesting ribs this weekend so no chicken for now.  It's supposed to rain.  Any problem with water entering the probe hole in the top of my 2D?
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 12:02:02 PM »
Light rain doesn't bother, but if it rains hard I cover the controller with a heavy upside down glass. I don't bother covering the smoke hole cuz I want the smoke to be able to get out.

If you have a D model where the controller is weatherproof, you shouldn't have to worry about anything.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 12:24:37 PM »
I cut a hole in the bottom of the left side of a small AL pan (the kind that I use for additional liquid) and when it rains I cover the smoke hole with the side of the pan that does not have the hole.  So, the smoke still comes out and exits on the left side of the AL pan.   I had to use this on Wednesday when it started raining, and then had to put some weight on the top of the pan to keep it in place over the smoke hole when the wind kicked up.    I also cover my Maverick with a plastic bag to keep it dry as well.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 12:31:22 PM »
That's an interesting idea.

Maybe super-glue some magnets on the pan to hold it down.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 01:20:40 PM »
I cut a hole in the bottom of the left side of a small AL pan (the kind that I use for additional liquid) and when it rains I cover the smoke hole with the side of the pan that does not have the hole.  So, the smoke still comes out and exits on the left side of the AL pan.   I had to use this on Wednesday when it started raining, and then had to put some weight on the top of the pan to keep it in place over the smoke hole when the wind kicked up.    I also cover my Maverick with a plastic bag to keep it dry as well.

Steve, are you an engineer?  Sounds like something my husband would rig up, and he's (was, now retired) an engineer. 
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 02:03:33 PM »
LOL!  No, but I have to say I was pretty pleased with myself!    I like NDKoze's suggestion too about the magnets!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2016, 10:15:21 PM »
Any problem with water entering the probe hole in the top of my 2D?

If you're talking about the 1/4" plug hole, on the right side of the controller, yes!  You definitely want to keep water out of there.  I think Steve is using on the new ones, but didn't on the first:

Weather-tight Cap

Just unscrew the nut on the plug, put this under, and screw it back on.  Works great! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2016, 11:42:52 AM »
Any problem with water entering the probe hole in the top of my 2D?

If you're talking about the 1/4" plug hole, on the right side of the controller, yes!  You definitely want to keep water out of there.  I think Steve is using on the new ones, but didn't on the first:

Weather-tight Cap

Just unscrew the nut on the plug, put this under, and screw it back on.  Works great!

Actually, I hadn't thought about the opening/plug attached to the right side of the controller.  I was talking about the opening on top of the smoker for the temperature probe to fit through to the inside of the smoker.
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2016, 04:04:29 PM »
Got it, Sue.  I call that the "blow hole."  lol.  It's really the exhaust hole, so that's why I thought you meant the actual probe plug hole.  At any rate, I recommend getting the probe hole cover for when it's not in use.  Keeps moisture, and bugs, out of your controller!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Hulk

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2016, 09:40:46 PM »
I just open the garage door and roll my #2 inside when it rains. Smoke rolls right out the door and my smoker stays dry and stable.
Smokin-it #2
Weber Genesis Series Special Addition
Plenty of campfires
Northeast United States

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2016, 01:38:47 PM »
Got it, Sue.  I call that the "blow hole."  lol.  It's really the exhaust hole, so that's why I thought you meant the actual probe plug hole.  At any rate, I recommend getting the probe hole cover for when it's not in use.  Keeps moisture, and bugs, out of your controller!

Thanks.  My smoker has to stay outside so I will certainly get a waterproof cap for the probe hole.  As usual, your advice is right on!
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2016, 08:10:18 PM »
I think the new ones are including the probe cover, Sue, but it's something we just didn't think about in the production process!  :-[
Tony from NW Arkansas