Author Topic: Just Curious what grade of meat are you using , and .........  (Read 4215 times)

OFFSHORE GINGER

Just Curious what grade of meat are you using , and .........
« on: January 04, 2015, 05:30:12 PM »
Hey guy's I am very seriously thinking of going with a Brisket for my next Smoke and was................... wondering what Grade of Beef,  or meat , you are using for your cook , USDA , Select , or below , and has anyone ever tried a Tri Tip , or London Broil , and if so............... what is your overall  opinion , cook time , tenderness , taste ,etc , etc ? 
[I[I .............

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Just Curious what grade of meat are you using , and .........
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 06:13:49 PM »
Ginger, IMO, Tri Tip and London Broil are not really suited for the smoker.  They are so lean that serving internal temps are typically rare to medium rare.  That seems to be achieved better on the grill but again, that's just my opinion. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 06:32:29 PM »
Ginger, IMO, Tri Tip and London Broil are not really suited for the smoker.  They are so lean that serving internal temps are typically rare to medium rare.  That seems to be achieved better on the grill but again, that's just my opinion.
Thank you Dave for your reply because it never hurts to ask which might stand to reason why ..............I never read much ( or anything ) about a Tri Tip or London Broil being cooked up on this forum , and once again do you have any opinions on any grade of meat ( suggestion ) for a Brisket .
[I[I .............

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 06:59:27 PM »
Brisket, by definition, is shoe sole beef.  Short of buying something expensive like waygu beef, I buy from the Winco, Smart & Final, Cash & Carry or Costco/Sam's type stores for all my meat. 

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 09:34:12 PM »
I disagree about the tri-tip - works great in these smokers.  Use the low-temp method I use for prime rib, smoke to about 128-130 (depending on medium-rare to medium), and reverse-sear on the grill.  Tender and juicy!

As for grades of beef:  Select briskets are fine, if prepped right.  I brine briskets, and inject, so even a cheap select cut is good.  I've smoked Choice and Prime briskies, and can't tell much difference.  You see the difference much more in something that is not cooked to such a high internal temp, like rib or sirloin tip roasts.  If smoked right, you won't tell much difference between Choice and Prime - except in the weight of your wallet!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 09:41:23 PM »
I just think a grilled tri-tip tastes better than a smoked one.  A grilled hamburger tastes better to me than a smoked one.  Everyone's personal taste is different. 

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 07:57:51 PM »
I just think a grilled tri-tip tastes better than a smoked one.  A grilled hamburger tastes better to me than a smoked one.  Everyone's personal taste is different.

You're right, Dave!  That's why there are "no wrong answers" around here! :D   Now, tri-tip steaks, that I get in the big pack from Sam's?  Definitely on the grill!  Only a whole tri-tip roast will find its way into the smoker.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 04:42:43 PM »
Divo , I am not a member of Sam's Club as of yet but will be soon ........................
[I[I .............

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 06:39:37 PM »
Sam's membership is worth it just for the meat department. That is where I get most of my meat, along with Costco.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 10:23:35 PM »
My local Sam's gets the vast majority of my meat money!  The selection is great, as is the quality.  Every bit as good as I've gotten from any of the local butchers, and lots more affordable! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas