Author Topic: Hello to all  (Read 4147 times)

WindWalker

Hello to all
« on: December 21, 2014, 05:42:52 PM »
Hello to all from a brand new  Pennsylvania (about 55 miles NW of Philly) SI 3 owner. I have been smokin with my Bradley for about 4 years and decided it was time to move up a few notches. Received my 3 w/cart and accessories within 6 days of placing my order andI really don't see how the quality or service could be any better. Did my seasoning smoke (twice just to pattern the burn tendencies) and then a rack of baby backs.
Was a bit careless in moving my Maverick internal probe over from the Bradley and it came out of the clip and rested against the rear wall - this caused some real head scratching as to why my temps wouldn't hold steady until I figured it out. Now that that's straightened out, I'll be doing another smoke (chkn/salmon/or ribs) over the holidays.
Question though:  I've read that I should load a maximum of 6 oz's of wood chunks at a time - that amount seemed to burn up pretty good during my 4 hr seasoning smokes. Since I really dislike opening my smoker (thereby dropping smoker temps) during a smoke, how do I do a really long smoke for say a brisket, without loading up the wood to 10 or 12 oz's? Or, do I just need to change my ways and refill during a longer smoke? Thanks - WindWalker (aka, Jim).

Three Sons BBQ

Re: Hello to all
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 07:01:49 PM »
On a long smoked for say 16 lbs of pork or something significant I have done this...

Get two 4oz pieces of mild wood. Cherry or Apple. Equal size.
Soak one for a bit and wrap it in foil that is punctured with holes.
Place the 8oz of wood in the box when the smoke starts.
The dry unwrapped chunk smokes heavy for two hours.
The soaked one wrapped up smolders up to 8 hours.
After that there is no wood left to but in my #3.
But... Then you don't need smoke because the meat is sealed.
It's all about low slow steady heat then with lots of moisture.
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 12:05:56 AM »
I never use more than 6 ounces and always have plenty of smoke flavor.

Your meat is only going to be able to absorb smoke up to about 140 degrees internal temperature. So any smoke after that just builds up on the meat and can actually make it taste bitter.

Most of your smokes will be at 225-235, so your wood won't burn up quite as fast as your seasoning smoke.

Personally, I don't mess with foiling my wood. I just run it at 150 for the first 45 minutes of my smoke and than go up to my desired temperature. I pretty much have smoke flowing the entire time that my meat is less than 140 internal temp.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 08:47:51 AM »
Welcome, and glad to hear that you your maiden voyage was a success!   I too have messed up with the internal probe (once too close to the meat) and it does cause some serious head scratching.   I pretty much now try to keep the probe on a rack above the meat so I don't make that mistake again.   As for the wood, I never exceed 6oz, even for long smokes like BBs, and most of the time I stick right around 3oz.  This produces a nice smoke flavor for me.   I would suggest trying just 6oz for a long smoke like brisket and see if it meets your desired taste.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 09:08:37 AM »
Don't worry about wood, short smoke = small piece, medium smoke=medium chunk, long smoke=either one large or one medium and one small.

I don't foil, soak or obsess about wood. Use quality wood that averages 2, 4 and 6 oz. each and you will be fine.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

WindWalker

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 03:53:15 PM »
Like to thank everyone for their very helpful input - will limit to 6 oz's and see how it goes. In other threads I've seen, it seems as though their are strong opinions both for/against the use of foil/ foil boats - guess the only way to know what will work best for me is to try all possible methods. What a shame, I'll have to keep smokin' till I figure it out!  ;D WindWalker

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 04:08:07 PM »
I think there is a fairly strong opinion from most against foiling our meat in the smoker. You can definitely try foiling and it will probably work very well. I think the general consensus is that it is not needed. But you are correct, that the only way to know for sure is to test it. I think if you are running out of time, you may want to use the Texas Crutch to move a butt/brisket smoke along. But, for me, I think that would be the only time that I would use foil. I have been fortunate to not have to do it up to this point, because I always start early and place in warm mode (150) if it gets done early.

As far as foil boats, I think it is more of a preference there verses strong feelings for or against them. I don't think that there is much doubt that it works. For me, I just don't see the need for doing it. I would rather just ramp up my smoker by starting at 150 for 45 minutes before bumping up to the final temperature. I won't say anything against the boaters. The only thing I would say against the foil boats is that they do NOT work well for low temp smokes especially with chunks. If you are doing a low temp smoke, you would be better off using chips as they will start smoking at lower temps.

I think you will find that we have a pretty strong consensus that 6 ounces of wood is pretty much the max that most of us would use for a long term smoke. But there again, everyone's tastes and tolerance for smoke are a bit different. Some only use 3-4 ounces even for long smokes. For me, I like a fairly heavy smoke, so use up to 6 ounces.

I am only listing what I "believe" to be the common consensus on things based on what I have read here.

Like you said WindWalker, "You'll have to keep smokin' till you figure it out". :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 07:58:15 PM »
Hi Jim!  Must be around the Allentown area?  I know it well!

As you can see, you get lots of opinions and information here - we're not very shy! ;)   Let me throw my 2ยข in, too! 

As for foiling meat:  The answer is simple...NEVER!  I started out trying all "published" methods (3-2-1, Texas crutch, etc.), and found the best results by ignoring them.  Foil is for wrapping meat in when it comes out of the smoker!

Foil boats?  Yes, I like that technique.  Let me explain...  I started with a #1, which never experienced combustion or the dreaded "smoke belch."  When I got the #2, I had it happen right off the bat!  I devised a method to counter it (which Gregg alluded to), which was to "ramp up" the temp slowly.  This allowed the wood to smolder, and cool a bit, before blasting it again with full-power element heat.  I then tried foiling the bottom of the chunk, and starting off going to full power.  No belch, and quicker to cooking temp!  I used this every smoke since, and have never had the dreaded belch!  See what works best for you.

Amount of wood:  6 oz. max.  Even for 14 lb packer briskets, this is plenty.  The meat doesn't absorb it after about 140 IT, so no more smoke is necessary.

Keep on smokin' and find what works for you! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 04:48:48 PM »
+1
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 12:28:58 PM »
Tony... Can you send a photo of the bottom foil of the wood?

Sounds similar to what I do. Regardless length of smoke... I tend to break it into two chunks... One dry and landed in the box further away from the power source... And then another chunk a little wet with a bit of foil on it.

I don't obsess over it but spend the two minutes to avoid a belch... Straight to full power and no issues.

... Oh and never foil the meat if you are doing everything else by the book. :-)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 01:44:00 PM »
I'll snap one of the foiled wood when I start my prime rib tomorrow! 8)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 11:57:02 AM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2014, 01:48:21 PM »
I posted a pic a while back for someone else that asked about foiling; unfortunately I can't find the forum topic where it is posted!   :-\
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2014, 01:54:54 PM »
I found the picture...this was a quick set up to show someone else how to foil the bottom and sides.  I would suggest keeping the foil tighter to the wood than shown in the pic.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2014, 05:05:12 PM »
Boo yah.

That works.