Author Topic: Twice smoked potatoes.  (Read 2849 times)

jaka (Ken)

Twice smoked potatoes.
« on: June 04, 2018, 08:51:06 PM »
I fixed 6 large Russet potatoes today for the smoker. I drizzled Olive oil on them and sprinkled them with Kosher salt. Into the smoker at 250F for about 5 hours using cherry wood until they were fork tender. While they in were the smoker I fried bacon (8 slices) and turned them into crumbles. I also added 1/2 of a small onion to the bacon while cooking. I added 1/2 stick butter, 5 ozs. of creme cheese, 4 jalapenos, and about a 1/4 cup of banana pickles. All finely chopped. into a large bowl. When I took the smoked potatoes out I halved them and scraped the meat of the potatoes into a large bowl, leaving the 1/2 shells of the potatoes. I added all the other ingredients to the bowl of potato meat and mashed them into a smooth consistency. I also added 1/2 cup of heavy cream and about 1/4 cup of sour cream to the mix. I spooned the resultant mixture back into the potato shells and then added a sprinkle of BBQ rub and lots of shredded cheddar cheese to each potato. I placed the filled potatoes into an aluminum pan and placed them back in the smoker which was still set at 250F for appx. 45 mins. Wow! super good and eaten up immediately by all. I'll be fixing these again. This not my recipe by the way. I simply added some of my own ingredients.
Ken Admire
Retired from Navy and also oil/gas industry.
Using #3D Smoker. Started with the 2D and
loved it but gave it to one of my sons when I
bought the larger 3D.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Twice smoked potatoes.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 08:58:42 PM »
Sounds like something I need to try.  Thanks for posting Ken!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 10:22:23 PM »
Those sound awesome!  Can't believe they're only 300 calories each!  ;)
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

barelfly

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 10:08:30 AM »
Those sound great! How was the smoke flavor - mild or a little stronger? Would have loved to see some pics of these!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

jaka (Ken)

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 07:43:12 AM »
The smoke flavor was noticeable but mild but then I didn't want the harsher hickory or oak taste. As for pictures, I wish I had taken some also. I always remember the pics after the fact. Gotta write myself a note and then remember where I placed it. By the way, the banana pickles were actually Vlasic Banana Pepper Rings.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 07:45:25 AM by jaka (Ken) »
Ken Admire
bought the larger 3D.

jaka (Ken)

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 07:53:52 AM »
LarryD these potatoes were absolutely "phenomenal" to quote my daughter. I never count calories. I'm 76 years old and enjoying life. Shot of whiskey in the coffee and a good cigar is a start. I was actually surprised at how many calories were supposedly in each potato. Thanks for the info.
Ken Admire
bought the larger 3D.

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 12:36:11 PM »
I always remember the pics after the fact.

Definitely don't want pictures after 'after the fact'...  ;)
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...