Author Topic: Fire!  (Read 2798 times)

Sartori42

Fire!
« on: March 04, 2018, 04:05:29 PM »
Hello Everyone,

It's been a while since I've been here.  Unfortunately, due to some unplanned issues, my smoker has set unused for many months.  Now, as the weather here in Northern IL is getting nicer, it was time to get the smoker back out for some babyback ribs.

I think I did everything according to what I remember.  I had remembered that I had problems before with my wood catching fire.  I had been using the chip screen as a bit of a buffer, and I did that again today.  No matter, the 3 pieces of hickory pieces still caught fire (3.625 oz total).  I quickly pulled out the smoke box, threw the burning pieces in a pail of water, made a foil boat and inserted 3 new pieces of hickory, and put the smoke box back in the smoker.  I was loathe to open the smoker, but it seems to be going along better now.  So (finally) my question...

Is it typical to have to double insulate the smoke box to keep the wood chunks from catching fire?  The wood has been sitting in the garage, so it could be a bit dry.  I checked the wood moisture before starting and the 3 pieces were at about 18%.  I want to get this figured out, because we are planning to get back into smoking meats again.

Thank you.

Steven
Steven near Chicago
Model #2 with Norman Cabinet

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Fire!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 05:13:30 PM »
I can't say what is normal and what is not.  But if your solution works and you get great flavor, keep on smoking!  You could try blocking some of the holes in the wood box and see if that starves the oxygen sufficiently to prevent combustion.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 08:16:20 PM »
My solution and standard operating procedure is to lay a piece of foil over 1/2 to 3/4 of the holes in the bottom of the wood box and then lay the chip screen over that.  Place the wood on the foil covered section of the box. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Jimeo

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 12:08:16 PM »
+1 on SuperDaves comment.  On longer smokes especially, I’ll also run at 200 for the first hour. 
Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 08:21:54 PM »
I still just cover the bottom and sides of the wood chunks with foil (like little foil boats).  No combustion.  Your moisture content of 18% should be good!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

es1025

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 04:53:36 PM »
I must be lucky, i have never had the fire experience. I always set a two step smoking process on the auber. 1st 30 minutes at 170 and then the remaining time at the desired smoke level.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Walt

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 09:07:19 PM »
I don't have any issues either. No foil. Set the temp and let her rip.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill