Author Topic: First smoke with new 2D  (Read 3025 times)

swede8a

First smoke with new 2D
« on: October 13, 2018, 03:03:40 PM »
About two hours in temp spiked to 250 from setting of 225. Instructions indicated that smoke hole should be covered. This does not make sense so I uncovered hole and temp fell back to setting temp. Am I missing something about smoke hole.

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: First smoke with new 2D
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 12:40:53 AM »
I only have the #2 vs. the 2D, but I can't come up with any reason (nor any instructions) for ever covering the smoke hole...
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 01:05:32 PM »
About two hours in temp spiked to 250 from setting of 225. Instructions indicated that smoke hole should be covered. This does not make sense so I uncovered hole and temp fell back to setting temp. Am I missing something about smoke hole.

Covering the smoke hole?  I have never seen that in writing before.  Very odd. Could be a typo so let Steve know.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Lipster

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 08:54:36 AM »
Was it raining?
Some put an unplugged iron pipe tee on the vent to keep the rain out, but let the smoke pass through. 

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 05:51:57 PM »
Was it raining?
Some put an unplugged iron pipe tee on the vent to keep the rain out, but let the smoke pass through.

I have never seen or heard anything about covering the smoke hole either (except for in rain). That is definitely a new one for me unless things have changed. I tend to not spend a lot of time here in the summer while I am out at the lake and just a really busy time at work. But, come Fall and Winter I have more time to dedicate to reading the forum and responding to threads.

That Iron Pipe Tee is a new one for me too, but that if Gosh Darn GENIUS!!! Thanks for sharing that Lipster!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.