Author Topic: Delayed start to cook  (Read 3123 times)

EzGlider

• Jeff
Delayed start to cook
« on: July 27, 2018, 09:37:07 AM »
Ok, I have been lurking for some time but finally got my smoker so I am doing brisket for my first smoke. When I do the math 1.5 hrs/lb I need to start this thing at midnight to allow for 2 hrs in the cooler. I am an early riser so that means early to bed. The unit is the digital controller so any issue setting the controller at 80 F for 2 hrs (simulating room temperature) and then programming it to go to 250 F at midnight? If we are going to do Lazy Q well let's do it right...

Using a Costco whole prime brisket.

Wish me luck,

Jeff

Walt

Re: Delayed start to cook
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 10:54:55 AM »
I think the smarter play is to start it when you go to sleep and let it rest longer on the back side. I have rested brisket, double wrapped in foil in a cooler & towels, for 7 hours with the temperature not dropping below 140.  There are definate benefits to a rest after &, in my experience, the longer the better.  But...your plan would work.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

JustChillin

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 11:13:53 AM »
I second starting it early. That will allow you extra cooking time if needed and a long rest has worked well for me in the past.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 11:31:04 AM »
I agree with Walt's advice here.   The real unknown is the smoking time, but the rest for a brisket is really important.   I too would start early and not sweat whether the brisket will finish on schedule.   You are right to anticipate about 1.5 hours per pound, but we have seen different smoking times from others that have smoked briskets. 
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Walt

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 12:17:21 PM »
Also, glad to have you out of the shadows and participating. Welcome to the family.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 12:24:29 PM »
Jeff - Welcome to the forum. I go with the others on this.  Start it early/when you go to bed rather than letting it sit in a warm cooler. Pull it and wrap and into the cooler. Alternately you can smoke it and set the Conttol to a keep warm step of 140 degrees when it hits your target I T. Then pull wrap and store.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

EFGM

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 02:11:45 PM »
Two thoughts...1st is food safety. I realize I might be a little paranoid on this but I always think 4 hours to get to 140 and believe that should be monitored. Delaying start by 2 hours would definitely cause me to lose sleep by checking on it. More experienced might chime in on this issue. Tracking history can help prove this as well.
2nd, when setting a program to go to 140 after your target internal temp is achieved, the time it takes to lower the pit temp should be factored in as it will be continued cooking time.
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

EFGM

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 02:41:21 PM »
Here’s a chart on my last Brisket smoke.
Doug
Carrollton

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

EFGM

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 02:46:46 PM »
And this is a cool down chart from a #2. Looks like it’s a lot faster than I remembered. Good info to know on both going up and going down.

Hope this helps!

Long rests only help
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 02:49:25 PM by EFGM »
Doug
Carrollton

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

Boone

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2018, 08:10:51 AM »
I personally would not start my smoke at 80 degrees. I would adjust my bed time accordingly. To make a great brisket, pulled pork or anything for that matter .. sometimes you have to make a sacrifice. In the end the results are often worth it!

I’ve done my share of brisket over the years and the one thing I learned is that the brisket is done.. when it is done. The 1.5 hours per pound is a fair guide but they could be finished sooner or later to that estimate. I inject my brisket with beef stock and smoke at 225 until the IT reaches 190 and then I start to probe for tenderness. Once my probe goes in with no resistance .. it is done. I’ve had a brisket done two hours before the estimate at 192 internal temperature to several hours longer than the estimate at 203 internal temperature. I’ve kept a brisket wrapped and in a cooler for three hours and it was still hot when I sliced it up.

My primary rule when cooking … Cook till the meat is done and not worry about a scheduled meal time. If the food is served an hour or so later then planned .. so be it. I much prefer having someone complain about eating later than I said then serving the meat not cooked to perfection and hearing comments about it being too tough or something!
Dan from Wisconsin
Smokin-It #2, Auber PID
Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Kettle Grills
Blackstone Flat-Top Griddle

EzGlider

• Jeff
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2018, 09:42:36 AM »
So we stayed up playing cards so I made it till 11:15. I just used the B1 program to see how it functions (no problem). We had 6 for dinner and all raved about it after dinner so I guess it was a hit. Just did salt and pepper for season and 6oz of hickory. Cut the tops off 2 soda cans and filled with water next to the heating element and never opened the door. Put it on the 2nd highest rack to give it clearance with the roof. It took 15 1/2 hours to hit 195 and weighed 11.8 lbs. Sat in the cooler for 3 hrs before serving. I estimate I cut 1 - 1.5 lbs of fat off. Couple questions...

When you guys figure the time do you figure it on the trimmed or untrimmed weight?
If you were to do 2 would you double the time, and if you do 2 I would assume you would want similar weights?
Do you replace the foil after each smoke?

Thanks for the coaching on my 1st attempt.

Jeff

EzGlider

• Jeff
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2018, 09:46:57 AM »
Doug are those the graphs you get from the wifi controller?

Walt

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2018, 09:58:43 AM »
Replace foil

Approximately same time for 2 as 1. Probe smallest brisket 1st

I only trim hard fat. Very minimal, if any. So, my estimations are based on original weight. If you are a heavy trimmer, estimations should be based on the trimmed weight. After awhile you won't bother to estimate. Generally, I put the big chunks in before going to bed.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

EFGM

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2018, 12:59:18 PM »
Jeff, those graphs are from my fireboard. Have not yet done
A smoke while connected to WI-FI.soon though!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 09:35:42 PM by EFGM »
Doug
Carrollton

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

EFGM

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2018, 01:05:07 PM »
For time estimate I use trimmed weight.
2 at approx same weight which I prefer but is not always the case,
Are done at approximately the same time. They
Are 2 separate hunks of goodness. I like to have a probe in each
Flat and each point, 4 probes for 2 Briskets.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 09:35:26 PM by EFGM »
Doug
Carrollton

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"