Author Topic: Boston butt in the new #2  (Read 10486 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Boston butt in the new #2
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2015, 06:05:23 PM »
That butt looks fantastic, Ralph! ;D

My only comment is a suggestion to help on all smokes - nothing to do with that beautiful butt!  I notice you use the hanging juice pan.  Next time, don't hang it from a shelf.  Instead, set it on the floor of the smoker, right up against the smoke box.  This design was in place before folks realized that the best results come from having the water/juice pan against the heat source.  You'll get more moisture that way.  Some have even cut the hanging tabs off their pans!  If all else fails, just get some disposable aluminum mini-loaf pans and use them.  Cheap, and easy to clean!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

1stlink

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2015, 06:23:00 PM »
Thank you Bob, we have eaten and I cannot believe it can get any better.

My thanks to all that have contributed in this forum. Now I have to get busy with the food saver, another tip that I picked up in this forum.

Ralph

Longhornamus

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2015, 06:30:08 PM »
Wow, that looks so good!
Keith from Texas
Longhorns fanatic
Smokin-It #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2015, 06:34:22 PM »
Looks like you even have a faux smoke ring there. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

1stlink

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2015, 06:42:22 PM »
My only comment is a suggestion to help on all smokes - nothing to do with that beautiful butt!  I notice you use the hanging juice pan.  Next time, don't hang it from a shelf.  Instead, set it on the floor of the smoker, right up against the smoke box.

Hi tony,
I had read this on a couple of post one by Gregg, but I figured I would try hanging it on the bottom shelf that was in place just to hold the miss Lily container. I positioned Miss Lily directly against the woodbox. My only concern was a tip over from movement of my smoker cart during the smoke. I sometimes move my cart and utilize an exhaust fan to keep the smoke out of my condo. Our temperatures here are mostly in the 70s and we keep our doors wide-open.
I am all in when it comes to improvement but it is really hard to believe that it can get any better. I do appreciate the tip and will try to secure Miss Lilly on the bottom... 😊

1stlink

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2015, 06:45:08 PM »
Looks like you even have a faux smoke ring there. :)
Yep, saw that Gregg...  ;)

1stlink

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2015, 06:53:34 PM »
Wow, that looks so good!
Thank you Keith,
It turned out great. Well worth the effort. 😉

DivotMaker

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2015, 07:16:16 PM »
A picture truly IS worth a thousand words, Ralph!  Fantastic shot of the pulled pork! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

1stlink

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2015, 07:26:27 PM »
 Thank you Tony and thanks for all the help  ;)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 07:29:40 PM by 1stlink »

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2015, 11:39:06 PM »
Looks great Ralph! Did you pull the pork in the drip pan? With the drippings?

Also, did you foil your smoke box lid? I couldn't tell if foil was on there in the photo. I believe it's pretty standard to do that as well as the floor.  I've been getting a little fat and moisture under the floor foil and wonder if that is normal or if I need to form fit the foil better to catch everything. I normally leave about 1" vertical foil creeping up the walls from the floor.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

Barrel99

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2015, 11:51:33 PM »
Tman Tony: I always get liquid on the bottom of the smoker under the foil. There is no way to avoid it even if you form fit it because the water vapor seeps everywhere. A wet paper towel and it wipes clean.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2015, 12:06:02 AM »
Thanks Arnie-

I've been using paper towels and wiping it out with a dish rag after taking the foil out. Wasn't sure if there was a better way or not. Do you guys change the foil each and every smoke as well?
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

Barrel99

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2015, 12:18:38 AM »
Absolutely! Usually the smoker box foil is covered in hard baked drippings and the bottom foil always has liquid and drippings as well. I usually go out the next day and clean the racks, dump the foil and clean the bottom. I am kinda fussy about leaving food in the unit at all. I want it fully clean for my next smoke. Heating up old drippings on a new smoke I would think is a bit risky to your health in my opinion.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

1stlink

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2015, 05:34:21 AM »
Looks great Ralph! Did you pull the pork in the drip pan? With the drippings?

Thanks Tony,  the answer is Yes and no. The Smokebox was definitely foiled and in fact it still is because cleanup is this a.m. I foil the bottom but not up the sides.

Note, Added pic with foil turned up.. really messy smoke box, gotta cover every smoke, box & bottom!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 09:08:19 AM by 1stlink »

DivotMaker

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2015, 09:25:22 PM »
Stellar job, Ralph!  That bark should be in a BBQ magazine!  Perfect! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas