Author Topic: It won't fit!  (Read 21980 times)

1stlink

Re: It won't fit!
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2015, 03:12:06 PM »
Thanks Steve. I just heard from Steve L and I'm in the process of placing an order for a Model #2....  :)

PS, I lived in Slower DE (Sussex cnty) a long time ago.

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2015, 03:45:51 PM »
I love the slower lower (DE) as they call it. 

I posted the pic just to show how the racks fill up.   

Regardless of which you pick (#2 I read) after your first smoke or three you wont even remember what you paid for the unit.   

I love the #2, but if I had to do it again I'd prob get the #3 (just in case).

The racks on the #2 fit perfect in the dishwasher too.  The #3's you might be tight?

Enjoy either you get.  You will!

John
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2015, 03:53:48 PM »
LOL!  Finally some folks that have a Delaware experience!   I grew up just outside of Dover, so I am pretty much a slower Delaware person at heart.  Moved to the big city of Wilmington about 20 years ago.  Nevertheless, you can't beat the Delaware beaches in Sussex county, playground of the DC folks!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

1stlink

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2015, 05:59:45 PM »
Well the #2 is on order. Thanks to all here again for all the advice and comments.  :)

Steve, I'm a PA native but spent my youth in DE including Dover area etc. Great times in the diamond state...

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2015, 06:43:46 PM »
I know 1st Link ordered his #2 and I am sure it will work just fine for him. But for anyone wondering, I do fit my #3 racks into my dishwasher. But, it is a tight fit and I have to put them in horizontally and the stick out a bit but slide up against the door when I shut it.

I am glad I got my #3. But I do regularly smoke very large batches of Snack Sticks and jerky and need all if the space.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2015, 07:16:15 PM »
Ralph...I am guessing that you were stationed at DAFB...nice base; and an great experience to see the big birds landing across the roadway.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

1stlink

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2015, 07:37:00 PM »
Ralph...I am guessing that you were stationed at DAFB...nice base; and an great experience to see the big birds landing across the roadway.
wrong guess, but I did fly into the base a couple of times.
I moved from there as a 16 yo back to PA. I still have a brother in Felton. Many other ties to the 1st state including several former employees and other relatives.
Cheers, Ralph

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2015, 07:58:25 PM »
Good to see you, Ralph!  The #2 will serve you well - I love it, and have never felt "limited" by it, like I did with the #1.  Great smoker!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2015, 09:00:49 PM »
Welcome Ralph. The #2 is a great choice (same one I went with  ;D ). It's a great configuration for small/medium sized families. My last smoke was an ~12lb brisket packer. It fit when I partially folded the flat and the brisket was perfect when complete. It shrunk pretty significantly during the 12 hour smoke. I also did a 12 lb turkey with no problems at all.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

1stlink

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2015, 05:48:46 AM »
Good to see you, Ralph!  The #2 will serve you well - I love it, and have never felt "limited" by it, like I did with the #1.  Great smoker!
Thanks Tony and good to hear from you also. Picking the most suitable model has been and continues to be a challenge for me! I changed my order to a Model #3 but Steve told me that #3s are out of stock with a shipment expected sometime this week. So as it stands, I'm in limbo and still wavering between the #2 & #3.
I know that you are happy with your #2 as well as many others here but so many #2 owners say that doing it over they would buy a #3. I admit total confusion.  :-\
My logic tells me that a #2 is plenty for two senior citizens and I probably shouldn't have stopped the #2 order. The extra 5 inches of the #3 is appealing mainly for ribs and possible a brisket although both(cut/trimmed) will fit in a #2..  :-\
Either model will be a huge upgrade from my old #1, especially after adding the Auber controller. I'll make a final decision in the next day or two.
Thanks again Tony as I value your opinion.

1stlink

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2015, 05:58:20 AM »
Welcome Ralph. The #2 is a great choice (same one I went with  ;D ). It's a great configuration for small/medium sized families. My last smoke was an ~12lb brisket packer. It fit when I partially folded the flat and the brisket was perfect when complete. It shrunk pretty significantly during the 12 hour smoke. I also did a 12 lb turkey with no problems at all.
Thanks Tony and you sound very enthused with your #2 Smokin-it. The 12 lb packer surprised me as I didn't think a #2 was capable of one that large!
Happ smokin  :)
Ralph

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2015, 08:56:45 AM »
Here's the thread with my brisket effort (http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2581.msg18134#msg18134).
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

1stlink

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2015, 09:24:42 AM »
Awesome looking Brisket and WOW, you had quite an adventure with the curing salt... Great learning experience and good food too!  ;D

Me2

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2015, 09:44:33 AM »
I am a retired single person so my decision was between a #1 or #2. I went with the #2 and have been totally satisfied.
I do 3 racks of ribs by placing them diagonally on 3 shelves. Have done separate smokes of a 9 lb butt, a 12 .b turkey,  3 pork tenderloins, and 3 shelves full chicken breasts and find the capacity more than adequate.

I don't use an auber as I find I get fine results as is but do use a thermometer. Probably the best additional thing I got was a vacuum  sealer. Great for freezing extra meat.

I am enjoying my smoker and my friends also enjoy my smoked meat.

In addition the #2 on a cart (added that after a few smokes and got tired of stooping over to remove meat or clean up) is easy to use. I keep it in my garage and roll it out to my front porch to use where there is an outlet as I don't have a back deck or patio.

Guess you can tell I am totally sold on my #2. Think it would be ideal for empty nesters.

This forum has been a great help and the tips on rubs and brines and sauces helpful. Also fun daily reading even if you are between smokes!
Martha
Martha
#2 happy owner, Georgetown, TX

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2015, 10:03:46 AM »
I think if you are waivering that close to getting a #3, you probably should just do it. In the end, when you figure how many years this thing will last the extra dollars will seem like nothing and the extra space that you will have for that rare occasion where you want to cook for a large group you'll be able to do it.

I am a single Dad, with two kids and love that I went with a #3. It is surprising how many opportunities that I get to cook for large groups, be it church potlucks, kids confirmation and graduations, block parties, family camping trips, etc.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.